Talk about timing (and for once a good judgement call...)

LeftHandGuy

This post was originally going to be short write up of the DSC 1 I did with Jelen last weekend, and would have been in the Write Ups section, but fate has turned it into something else.

Context: I wasn't too bothered about DSC, but have been given the opportunity to do some stalking where it is a mandatory requirement. My first choice would have been to do my DSC 1 with sikamalc, but my wife was due to birth to our second child in early March, which would have meant doing the course leaving my wife to cope with a 17 month old toddler and 1 month old newborn, as Malc's course runs in early April. The dates were a similar story for any of the courses closer to where I live - all too close to the due-date for comfort.

So, I signed up for Jelen's course which ran from 30 Jan-1 Feb. The short, short, short review is as follows: it was was fine, nice people, great facilities, nice food provided (unexpected bonus) and generally well organised. Whether was bloody cold in the wind, and Mike's assistant on the second day was obviously a very experienced deer manager, but to put it kindly, a less experienced trainer. On the whole, I would happily recommend taking your DSC 1 with Jelen - they do work very hard to get you up to the necessary standard, and deliver the course in a way that is genuinely informative rather than just "teaching to the exam".

I'm pretty sure I passed, got to wait for the result of the written papers though.

Bloody good thing that I took the course then though. Due to a few complications in the last few weeks, my wife was due an extra scan on Friday (6 Feb), so we happily went along to the local hospital. The sonographer was concerned as the baby's weight didn't seem right.

Upshot: wife was kept in and told the safest thing to do was get the baby delivered in the next 2-3 days. So I left her at the hospital and took number one son to Granny (my Mum). Packed wife's overnight bag and the list of luxuries she'd requested, and took them to her. I then went back to collect my son and take him home to bed.

All seemed calm, but, as I was tidying up the house and getting ready to turn in for the night, just as the clock turned to midnight, the phone rang. My wife me told they were going to theatre in an hour. Fortunately my Mum lives close enough that she could come and watch number one son, so that I was able to go to the hospital.

After a very calm, but not very fast caesarian, our second son was delivered at about 0320 yesterday morning. He came out shouting, which was good, and very small, which is less good. 1.78 Kg - don't know what that is in lbs (a little under 4 perhaps?).

Looks as though he and wife will have at least another 10-12 days in hospital - so I'll get to find out what 24 hour toddler care is like.

So, on the whole, I think I made the right decision to take my DSC1 when I did!

Cheers,
Guy

Congratulations Guy and all the family

That wind was ferocious last weekend it seemed to find its way through 5 layers of clothing

All the Best

Simon

If you had recieved your DSC1 certificate you could have shown them it and joined in?

If you had recieved your DSC1 certificate you could have shown them it and joined in?

Well, the time before I was mistaken by a member of the theatre staff for a junior doctor (since they put you in scrubs too) so I could probably have gotten away with it. That is if my wife would have relaxed iron grip she had on my hand....

Don't worry about the weight, my first was about the same and an APGAR score of 2 I think.
Slash and Dash is never nice but glad it turned out well.
My son is now 11 and catching up fast. They tend to be pocket rockets, a bit like an Italian whippet.

Don't worry about the weight, my first was about the same and an APGAR score of 2 I think.
Slash and Dash is never nice but glad it turned out well.
My son is now 11 and catching up fast. They tend to be pocket rockets, a bit like an Italian whippet.

That's reassuring. We still don't know why he's come out so small, as he was past 36 weeks and should have been heavier.

But hey, the staff aren't worried, so I won't. Be nice when he's out of special care though...

Last edited:
Back