Thread: Sako 85 stock

Sako 85 stock

Hi All. I have a Sako 85 laminate with the heavy ss fluted barrel. What I'm after is a synthetic stock for it. Doe's anyone know if any of the other Sako 85 Synthetic stock will fit? It's in 243, not sure if it'll make any difference. I'm not interested in aftermarket jobbies. Regards. cjs

Should fit if it's like for like I.e action size and heavy / varmint barrel

to to be honest you could have a long wait waiting for one to come up , personally you might be better ordering a new stock from sako that suits what you want

or if you find a gunshop with a complete rifle S/H on the shelf they might be willing to swap stocks with you maybe with a bit of cash

i mi think them are your only options if you don't want to go aftermarket

I'm not sure if you can get the Varmint, Fluted barrel with synthetic stock. Just wondering if any other format will swap. I know the Finnlight stock doesn't fit,but what about the 85 synthetic black or synthetic stainless. Its's a long shot but you never know.. Cheers, cjs

all good just trim it out easy job with a drum and round power files done the same with the 75 free floated it was a standard now big fat job with no probs and that is rubber !! if yours was a thumb hole i would have swapped my 85 ss stock

Speak to Danny at Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks. Brilliant stocks and customisable. I have a factory 85 synthetic stock going spare, but the forend is soo narrow that I can't see you being able to chase it out to suit the varmint profile without ruining the stock.

It might be worth keeping an eye on the stocks McMillan have in their retail store section. I got lucky and got the exact stock I wanted in a week or so. They won't ship to the UK though so you will need someone in the US to ship to and then forward to the UK. SSS are a better bet though.

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    Hi All. I have a Sako 85 laminate with the heavy ss fluted barrel. What I'm after is a synthetic stock for it. Doe's anyone know if any of the other Sako 85 Synthetic stock will fit? It's in 243, not sure if it'll make any difference. I'm not interested in aftermarket jobbies. Regards. cjs
    The .243 is a 'small' action in Sako terms, so a stock from any of the other small calibers will work (.308 etc), but the barrel profile will be a problem. The closest I can see is this one:

http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-black-bear

They term the barrel on this rifle as a medium profile vs the heavy profile on the varmint. It expect that the inletting would be a closer match than that of the stock from the Finnlight or the Synthetic Stainless. Any Sako dealer should be able to confirm via GMK.

regards

Ta for the info, cjs

If your at the shooting show we will be there with a good selection of SSS stocks