Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: level two stalking certificate

level two stalking certificate

I am new to this site but enjoying all the banter back and forth also some excellent honest advice given freely which is hard to come by these days. I would like you're experiences and advice on level two, i done level one years ago along with my meat handling course which i though the m/h one was a complete waste of money for the recreational hunter like me without a industrial chiller, my friends can still sell pigeons and game freely to game dealers without any so called qualification. i honestly thought the level one would have been a requirement by now for Deer on the F/A cert but it hasn't as yet. anyway i am thinking about doing my level two purely for the experience and to pick the brains of the assessor so i become better at carcass prep, i do not stalk forestry commission, just personal permission as a hobby, so is the level two essential, a good way to go for any stalker or a waste of time if you're not a commercial stalker ????.

I would have thought the assessor is there to pick your brains. The Deer initiative do a day on graloching and carcase handling which I found helpful with demonstrations on lots of different deer, plenty of time for questions and great value at £25 I think.

thanks for the reply Goathead, if there are any D/I courses in the north of England then i would certainly be interested, as for picking brains i would like to think the level two would be a learning curve for all but the most experienced stalkers being assessed by a professional. That was my question !

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    DSC2 will not do anything for you if you are looking to be better at carcass prep.
    If you mean more proficient at gralloching then a day on a deer park would do more for you.
    If your talking about butchery then there are courses for that too and maybe your local butcher with a bit of meat as a trade.
    DSC2 is a test of your proficiency and an assessor cannot help you during the process.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by gablegorst View Post
    thanks for the reply Goathead, if there are any D/I courses in the north of England then i would certainly be interested, as for picking brains i would like to think the level two would be a learning curve for all but the most experienced stalkers being assessed by a professional. That was my question !
    Your preparation for DSC2 should be a learning curve but the witnessed stalks themselves should not involve any training or instruction.

Your best bet is to contact a local AW or Assessor and have an informal chat, they will quickly be able to give you an idea whether or not you are ready and if training or witnessing is appropriate.

I think the BASC have quite an active deer/training team in Cumbria.
    Last edited by Glyn 1; 08-02-2015 at 21:24.

I am an A1 assessor in my own trade but the candidates coming to me have been with instructors for several months and so should be ready for passing out !!!!. however i know of complete novice stalkers doing there level one and then going straight onto level two, and why shouldn't they if there keen to learn, how ever where do they get experience without advice, experience, and the guidance of professionals, rather than nit pick my original thread why not explain if the DSC level two is for all stalkers regardless of experience. i have stalked for many years on Roe achieving gold medal however, is level two essential ?????

Blog Entries
    I am not nit picking, I am attempting to glean what it is that you are trying to achieve with DSC2.
    I have stalked for over 20 years now and only finished my L2 this year.
    After having done it, I will be the first to say that I was not as prepared as I thought I was and had picked up many bad habits which took some shaking off.
    L2 is not essential. Nobody says you have to do it. What do you want to achieve?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Thanks for you're reply teyhan, you and i have a lot in common with regards to stalking and i am glad that through level two you are now a better all round stalker having done you're level two after twenty years stalking, however there are hundreds of stalkers like me on the sidelines wondering whether level two is for them or not and debate like this might lead them including me in the right direction. If i was just after "achievement" then i would sit it, my original thread was if you are not a professional and do not stalk forestry commission ground then do you really need it.

Blog Entries
    1. You don't need if your a professional stalker. My friend runs a stalking company, doesn't have DSC1 or 2 and I am in constant awe of his abilities.
    2. If you want it then go get it. I got it because I wanted it. Will it open more doors...maybe. Do I care if it does....No. Did it make me a better stalker....No. Did it show up any shortcomings....Yes

level 2 is all about yourself wanting to do the qualification or not its a very good feeling when the cert comes through the door
    atb tom