Pm notification e-mails

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
These seem to be causing difficulties for a few people. When you receive an e-mail from admin to notify you of a PM you will see on the e-mail that it contains the following,

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

There is a very good reason for this, the e-mail has been sent to you by admin, an automatically generated e-mail to let you know that you have a PM, if you reply to it you will be sending an e-mail to admin. To reply, log into the site, and reply to the PM, otherwise I get to read what you are selling, where you have been etc, and I have no wish to do that.

John

I just noticed in the logs that this is still going on.

The PM notification has now been changed to make it clearer still!

Next step is a dunce hat smiley! ;)

Code:
************************** !!!READ THIS!!!***************************
* DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, IT IS JUST A NOTIFICATION FROM ADMIN! *

Dear USER1,

You have received a new private message at The Stalking Directory from USER2, entitled "Hello".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
blah blah blah
blah blah blah

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL - IT WILL GO TO ADMIN!!!

TO REPLY YOU MUST USE PRIVATE MESSAGING HERE:
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/private.php

All the best,
The Stalking Directory

Why don't you set up a dedicated account that only handles the sending of notifications of PMs? Then all e-Mails replied to this account could just be deleted without being looked at? Rgds JCS

I had considered it but it would require changing the FROM: email address used by vBulletin when it sends notifications. Currently it uses the admin email address and this cannot be changed, at least not without hacking the PHP code. It's probably a fairly easy change but I'd rather not do it unless absolutely necessary as every change must be incorporated into updated versions of the software and as version 4 is in it's infancy updates are coming fairly regularly.

Ok, following your suggestion I took another look and found a way of separating admin emails from notification emails. This is now implemented. Replying to a notification now goes to a black hole or, as we in the Linux fraternity say, /dev/null. :D

Alex

Last edited:
Back