Thread: Sauer 202 Outback Accuracy

Sauer 202 Outback Accuracy

I have a Sauer 202 outback in 6.5x55 running homeloads. While accuracy is fine for one or two shots the rifle would appear to throw bullets high by 2 or 3 inches on the third or fourth shot. I've never noticed this while stalking as normally one or two shots are enough, only on paper when looking at load development. I should add that while the barrel is warm it is in no way hot. The rifle is fitted with a Reflex T8 mod.
    Has anyone experienced similar or got any thoughts?

Is your mod perhaps working loose on its thread? (Eg tight for first couple of shots, recoil maybe causing it to drift undone a little?)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

You fail to mention whether you are shooting prone or off a bench, it is quite common when shooting prone if you have a poor position for the shots to go high. Try and keep a forward pressure on the bipod at all times and use a rear bag.

Perhaps a slightly loose screw somewhere ! {rings,bases or stock)
    As I recall the thread strips out (bases), if overtightened on the alloy
    action on Sauer's...just a thaught.

Atb,Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

I have the same gun in the same calibre and can report no similar problem. I use Norma 140gr and have used Federal Powershok in the past. From cold I can run a couple of mags (6 shots) all with the same point of impact, say an inch or so.

If you continue to shoot, say, another few shots, does the POI continue to raise or stay high by two or three inches? I am wondering if the real 'zero' of the gun with a warm barrel is actually the high group and the initial points-of-impact are due to a cold barrel perhaps with some oil in it from a previous clean.

Just to complete the picture, I merely run a Hoppes boresnake through the barrel at the end of a session (along with a light oil of the action and a clean of the crown).

regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Perhaps a slightly loose screw somewhere ! {rings,bases or stock)
    As I recall the thread strips out (bases), if overtightened on the alloy
    action on Sauer's...just a thaught.

Atb,Buck.
    Not many alloy actions on the Sauers, they had some problems so went back to a steel action again

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Not many alloy actions on the Sauers, they had some problems so went back to a steel action again

Good point Stalker.. better still get one with the integral base's

Atb, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Mate of mine had same problem, gun shop where he bought it ended up taking it back, on the money for two or three shots then a flyer, tried all sorts of different ammo no change. Defect somewhere we thought!
    saying that I've got one in .270 no probs with mine.

Thanks all for the replies, will check the various points raised, then try again. As I said not an issue as the initial shot goes to POA more a niggle!

I seem to remember a review of the rifle a few years ago that highlighted a similar problem but can't find a copy on the internet now.

Will let you know how I get on.