Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage making basics........

Sausage making basics........

Ensure that the skins you have will fit over the nozzle of the sausage stuffer or you are going to be, er, stuffed.

just saying.........
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Been there! Amongst other daft mistakes like forgetting to tie off the end, being baffled as to how I managed to get almost an entire pound of hot mince into a cannelloni tube then wondering why the front of my legs were burning, over-filling cases with black pudding mix (looked like a particularly gruesome murder had taken place in the kitchen)................there are more

You're not alone
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Well I could have taken a picture of the 2 sausages I was able to make. That was as much as I could fit on the nozzle but I ate one of them. It was ok but definitely needs more seasoning.

phesant sausage anyone? Also need to not stuff it as much as the skin burst. But I can live with that. It's all new to me. Hopeing the new skins arrive tomorrow.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Soak them in water or vegetable oil before putting them on and should stop them from bursting

Where are you helpful chaps getting your skins from??

I get mine from Butchers Sundries , Mincers, Butchers Supplies, Sausage maker , Sausage Skins or Sausage Burgers Casings, Skins and Seasonings

My local butcher also supplies them. All you need to is ask & yours will likely be more than happy to sell you some too
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Soak them in water or vegetable oil before putting them on and should stop them from bursting
    Collagen casings?

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Collagen casings?
    Yes an auld butcher showed me and it works a treat

I don't like the collagen casings. Th only time I use them is for larger diameter stuff such as Summer Sausage. You get a far nicer end product from a natural casing I find. Better 'snap', better moisture retention, easier to use, stronger, easier to link and far more forgiving than any of the collagen casings I've used. And the natural curve of the gut gives you a far better-looking sausage into the bargain