Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staffs/Shrops/North Wales Stalking

Staffs/Shrops/North Wales Stalking

Just wondering if anyone can share any knowledge of stalking opportunities in these areas? I have limited stalking experience, fully insured, my own rifles (223 & 308) for deer, pest & target purposes. I have been shooting (target & pest) for nearly 20 years.

Thanks in advance,
    Oly
    Last edited by Oly; 23-03-2010 at 18:10.

Oly,

Kinmel Estates offer accompanied Fallow stalking. I havenít been tried them out, so cant comment but there seems to be plenty of Fallow about the area.

http://www.kinmel-estate.co.uk/html/stalking.html

Mac

Oly, as to Kinmel etates, I can vouch for this setup, one of my friends "Potman" on here, has stalked some of this estate, with deer taken on the last two visits.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I live just a copule of miles from Kinmel and the only comment that I can offer on it is that there are indeed good numbers of deer here but the estate (and poachers) have been hitting them pretty hard this winter and they're not as easy to come across as they might have been 12 months ago. The deer manager there is (or certainly was) John Price who seems to know what he is doing. It's not cheap but there is a good chance of seeing something and there is the odd very big buck around, I saw one just off the Kinmel Estate last September that had possibly had the largest head that I've seen on a wild fallow anywhere in the UK.

For a few years in the early 2000s the big Danish agency Diana offered the estate in their catalogue and again the estate was hit pretty hard with the herd down to maybe 200 - 300 and they have been built back up to between 900 - 1000 under John's management.

Their intention to offer roe stalking in 2008 was a bit ambitious and was probably based on the fact that they are spreading in to North Wales and John shot a buck on the estate in 2004. Sadly the fox/rabbit lampers in North Wales seem to have done for the roe to a great extent and in fact I've not seen one or heard a report of one in the area since 2007.
    Last edited by paul k; 24-03-2010 at 09:12.

Many thanks guys, all information is greatly received. So if there is more, bring it along too!

Paul, I'm interested by your statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    Sadly the fox/rabbit lampers in North Wales seem to have done for the roe to a great extent and in fact I've not seen one or heard a report of one in the area since 2007.
    How have you found the fox/rabbit lampers have effected the roe?

Cheers,
    Oly.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    Many thanks guys, all information is greatly received. So if there is more, bring it along too!

Cheers,
    Oly.
    In my area they shoot them

i live not far from kinmel and i have seen roe in the holywell mostyn dock area last september buck and doe the buck had a good head also in bodfari

Stone, you're not alone there. The deer around where I stalk seem to have changed their habits/patterns and are sitting very tight.

A slightyl unrelated question but do any of you know any game dealers in North Wales? Got a few fallow deer but need to find a game dealer to take them off my hands! I am based in Denbighshire but happy to travel a small way if the price is right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post

Cheers,
    Oly.
    Hi Oly, I'm sorry I missed your post and have only just seen it. Between 2005 and 2007 there was an increasing number of reports of roe in the NE Wales area, mostly within a ten mile radius of Mold. I personally saw one and found a discarded skin just outside Mold, others from this forum also saw roe in the area.

Unfortunately this area is heavily worked by fox and rabbit lampers and the roe seem to have disappeared since 2007, I put 2 and 2 together and reckon that the lampers might have taken them out completely or down to very low numbers.