Thread: Footwear bliss

Footwear bliss

There have been many threads asking about boots so my experience this weekend may be of interest.
    on Friday I was forced to dig out an old pair of setters as my 3 year old Harkilas were wet through and I intended being out early Saturday for most of the day.
    Friday evening saw me rubbing in lots if mink oil to my dried out setters.
    Saturday and four hours of stalking dry feet and no sore spots so Sunday and this morning I have worn the setters still dry feet and more to the point I have been comfortable.

I must confess to thinking feeling tired after stalking sessions recently but going back to the setters I'm going out again tomorrow 6.30 am start.

Point being Setters may be expensive but there worth every penny

That is good to hear. When I was young, I used to walk at least 10 miles every Saturday morning behind an English setter and two GSPs, hunting quail in a foursome. Mine were the soft wedge sole, with only mild tread. And with the heavy dew, or hoar frost melting as the sun rose, I never had wet feet. I have been thinking of buying one of their chukka boots.

is it irish setter boots your talking about, if it is you will be disappointed in the quality. i had a pair for years they were great. i got a new pair of elktrackers 2 years ago, they are no where near as good as the old ones, i believe they are now made in china

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    is it irish setter boots your talking about, if it is you will be disappointed in the quality. i had a pair for years they were great. i got a new pair of elktrackers 2 years ago, they are no where near as good as the old ones, i believe they are now made in china
    That's a shame I was hoping to afford a new pair later this year

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    You are right, that SOME of them are made in China, like the round toe Wingshooter. But some are made in Mississippi. Irish Setter, Vasque , Carhartt are all part of Red Wing, the big work boot company. There is a Red Wing boot store near one of my clients, so I am now prompted to stop in and check them out.

When I wore out my Irish Setters, I was no where near a store, so I ordered a similar pair from Herter's. Boy, were they nice! Fully leather lined. Then I had a set of boots made by Russell Moccasin. That is a treat. Unfortunately, a Boykin Spaniel puppy chewed to top off one of them before I could wear them out. Then I bought some American-made moccasins by Rockport. They were so nice, and I still have them, after 21 years and 3 soles. I found out they came in a chukka and and upland boot, but could never find any for sale. Light as a feather, with the most most comfortable and quiet Vibram sole.

I will go to the Red Wing store. A friend wears a pair of Irish Setter chukkas, a work boot in kangaroo hide, the Countryside. His are made in the USA and he loves them. They have a stiffer sole than the ones I remember.

I've a load of boots, but redwing look fantastic.