Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope input for 300H&H

scope input for 300H&H

Gents,

Looking for experienced input on the best scope setup for a 300H&H I am building.

It will be for big stags, wood and hill, for boar and for hunting in Africa.

Now I am thinking a 1.5-6x42 S&B Zenith is the business as I imagine the 1.5 will be ideal for woodland, I hope also driven game if it allows both eyes open shooting, and 6x is plenty for up to 400yd shots for me, but if anyone on the forum can advise me based on their experiences with a multipurpose scope for this type of setup, I would be much appreciative.

My other thought was swaro 1.7-10x40 but I fear the swaro reticles are too fine for driven game, dusk shooting and I by no means want anything with a flashdot or illumination, so the S&B reticle might be ideal being on the slightly thicker side of things.

I have never felt I needed to go lower than 6X and have hunted everything from Roe to boar to Elk. Perhaps for running boar it might be nice but if you practice a lot a straight 6 should meet all your needs.

SS

I have both S&B & Swarovski 4a reticles; I'll let you compare them when I collect the .22

What about a 3-12x50? With an illuminated no. 4 ret it should pick up the driven game a treat and allow you to get a bit more mag further out

If as the OP says he doesn't want an illuminated reticle there is a good case for getting a scope with the German No 1 reticle. There are loads around & they are often overlooked by those who have never tried them in the real world.
    The heavy vertical post shows up very well in low light & the lack of heavy side bars means that the view is quite unimpeded.
    I run my 30-06 Mannlicher Luxus Stutzen with a Swaro 2.2 - 9 x42 sat on top. It is a joy to use in most situations & suits the rifle perfectly.

Ian

Something with a healthy eye relief for those 'intimate' prone Hill shots?

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Scrum,

you're not crazy, but I just figured for this build I want to keep the scope profile quite small so was thinking max x42 and ideally a scope without illumination as it's such a classic rifle, and of course, ideally a 'gloss' scope in a european make (read..zeiss, swaro, S&B, etc).

It's not an easy one, fortunately plenty of time to decide, but these sorts of things do keep me awake at night!

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    Scrum,

you're not crazy, but I just figured for this build I want to keep the scope profile quite small so was thinking max x42 and ideally a scope without illumination as it's such a classic rifle, and of course, ideally a 'gloss' scope in a european make (read..zeiss, swaro, S&B, etc).

It's not an easy one, fortunately plenty of time to decide, but these sorts of things do keep me awake at night!
    Ah I see. Well, that kinda cuts your options a bit. But for driven I would say the illuminated has its advantages... maybe a 2.5-15x44 Z6i if you can live with the fat back end. If not you might think about the 2.5-10x48 from Docter... looks a good scope to me (And quite slender with the illumination on a "turret" rather than at the occular end)

KR,

Scrummy

S&B 3-12x42

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    S&B 3-12x42
    Now that is a good idea!