scope input for 300H&H

User00026

Gents,

Looking for experienced input on the best scope setup for a 300H&H I am building.

It will be for big stags, wood and hill, for boar and for hunting in Africa.

Now I am thinking a 1.5-6x42 S&B Zenith is the business as I imagine the 1.5 will be ideal for woodland, I hope also driven game if it allows both eyes open shooting, and 6x is plenty for up to 400yd shots for me, but if anyone on the forum can advise me based on their experiences with a multipurpose scope for this type of setup, I would be much appreciative.

My other thought was swaro 1.7-10x40 but I fear the swaro reticles are too fine for driven game, dusk shooting and I by no means want anything with a flashdot or illumination, so the S&B reticle might be ideal being on the slightly thicker side of things.

I have never felt I needed to go lower than 6X and have hunted everything from Roe to boar to Elk. Perhaps for running boar it might be nice but if you practice a lot a straight 6 should meet all your needs.

SS

I have both S&B & Swarovski 4a reticles; I'll let you compare them when I collect the .22

What about a 3-12x50? With an illuminated no. 4 ret it should pick up the driven game a treat and allow you to get a bit more mag further out

If as the OP says he doesn't want an illuminated reticle there is a good case for getting a scope with the German No 1 reticle. There are loads around & they are often overlooked by those who have never tried them in the real world.
The heavy vertical post shows up very well in low light & the lack of heavy side bars means that the view is quite unimpeded.
I run my 30-06 Mannlicher Luxus Stutzen with a Swaro 2.2 - 9 x42 sat on top. It is a joy to use in most situations & suits the rifle perfectly.

Ian

Scrum,

you're not crazy, but I just figured for this build I want to keep the scope profile quite small so was thinking max x42 and ideally a scope without illumination as it's such a classic rifle, and of course, ideally a 'gloss' scope in a european make (read..zeiss, swaro, S&B, etc).

It's not an easy one, fortunately plenty of time to decide, but these sorts of things do keep me awake at night!

Scrum,

you're not crazy, but I just figured for this build I want to keep the scope profile quite small so was thinking max x42 and ideally a scope without illumination as it's such a classic rifle, and of course, ideally a 'gloss' scope in a european make (read..zeiss, swaro, S&B, etc).

It's not an easy one, fortunately plenty of time to decide, but these sorts of things do keep me awake at night!

Ah I see. Well, that kinda cuts your options a bit. But for driven I would say the illuminated has its advantages... maybe a 2.5-15x44 Z6i if you can live with the fat back end. If not you might think about the 2.5-10x48 from Docter... looks a good scope to me (And quite slender with the illumination on a "turret" rather than at the occular end)

KR,

Scrummy

Scrum,

Your thoughts re the 1.5-6x42 is pretty much spot on and that's what most rifles of this class seem to carry. Remember that 7mm rm that was in Dicksons for a good while. Make sure it's in a detacheable mount so you can use the open sights if needs be. 3-9 x36 or 42 would also work but limit you on closer range stuff and have no significant improvement on longer range.

only comment re the Zenith, is I would go for the classic as the rounded objective bell won't look correct on a classic rifle.

As it happens I have a cracking S&B 4-12x44 that has just had a full service and upgraded etched reticule
No4 reticule style in 2nd Focal Plane

yours for the princely sum of £575!

Your thoughts re the 1.5-6x42 is pretty much spot on and that's what most rifles of this class seem to carry. Remember that 7mm rm that was in Dicksons for a good while. Make sure it's in a detacheable mount so you can use the open sights if needs be. 3-9 x36 or 42 would also work but limit you on closer range stuff and have no significant improvement on longer range.

only comment re the Zenith, is I would go for the classic as the rounded objective bell won't look correct on a classic rifle.

Couldn't agree more. Having just switched over from a S&B 6x42 to a Swarovski non-illuminated 1.7-10x42 I was really taken aback at how enormous the eye-piece looks (& is). Is it just me or does anyone else find the even bigger eye-piece on the illuminated swarovski's deeply unattractive, no matter how good they are?

What about the 1,7-10x42 Meopta? I would go for that one, or the Swaro version of the same magnification for your use. Both with illuminated dots.

for an old school calibre like this I'd go old school and have a QR scope mount and open sights ?

I use a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 on the rare occasion that I use mine. Super field of view for running/dangerous game and enough magnification for longer shots. The EE version gives you plenty of eye relief.

I agree with Heym SR20 and the others all points:

* 1.25-4x or 1.5-6x for a wide field of view and lots of eye relief, shooting with both eyes open.
* Straight tube unless you need some light gathering; then go 1.5-6x42mm
* German #1 reticle, with the pointed obelisk, is fast to aim, natural, visible in dim light, and sharp enough for 300 yard precision.
* If you can get a #1 with the thin horizontal crosshair, that helps line up on moving game.
* Good iron sights, and scope in QR rings. Flat ivory front bead looks black in sunlight, but stands out in dark woods.

I have a Leupold 2.5x on a combination gun,
2-7x32 #1 with horizontal crosshair on a 7x64 Mauser fullstock,
1.25-4x24mm #1 30mm tube on a .375 H&H
1.75-5x24 Burris on a 7mm-08 carbine

I am borrowing a 1.5-6x24 30mm #4 illuminated Bushnell to try out.
A friend just built a 21-inch barrel .375 with NECG sights and a Leupold VX/R illuminated - very nice scope

Back