Thread: Boerewörs

Boerewörs

Anyone got any good boerewörs recipes, using beef or game? I made some in summer with beef and tried to keep the consistency coarse but it ended up being quite grainy.

Send a pm to Bos en dal on this site. His always seem pretty tasty to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslamb View Post
    tried to keep the consistency coarse but it ended up being quite grainy.
    What meat to fat ratio did you use? With a coarse-ground sausage it's very easy to lose moisture, especially if cooked at a high temperature. I always include pork shoulder with a decent fat content (at least 30% pork to venison or beef in most cases) and I also use a binder, but no rusk. If I want a stronger venison or beef flavour I'll add pork back fat at the same ratio, rather than shoulder. Phosphates are perfectly acceptable at the ratios stated on the packs, as is soy protein, but I almost always use milk powder instead. Around a cup to 5lb of meat is right. I forget the exact science behind it, but the proteins in the milk powder act to bind the fat particles to the meat somehow or other. Trust me though, it works great

Len Poli has some great recipes. Here's one of his Boerewörs

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Boerewors.pdf
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

What cuts of beef would you normally use for it? I make a lot of biltong for my South african wife and her family so just used silverside (which I always have in freezer) when she asked if I could make some. I used about 80:20 meat to fat ratio in the boerewors and a well known generic spice blend. But seeing as the summer is coming up and I'm away to make biltong, chorizo and Presunto when I get back onshore, I figured I should start trying to better the boere's. Thanks for the tips though, I'll definitely use the milk powder.

You bet

I actually use rump steak, believe it or not? Chuck or skirt works well too, though (if you can get it) I'm of the view that the better meat I can put in, the better a sausage I get out, and as I don't make it in commercial quantities I can produce something a wee bit special
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

A web site called hunter angler gardener cook has loads of recipes including boerewors tried them last week pretty good