Thread: Heads up - Tax scam e-mail!

Heads up - Tax scam e-mail!

I have just received an e-mail supposedly from HM Revenue & Customs which i believe is some sort of new scam from abroad.
    What leads me to believe that this is a scam is the poor gramatical wording and the terrible spelling.
    I don't know if this is definitely some sort of a scam that I have not come across before but I would welcome your thoughts on it - Maybe you have received a similar e-mail?

This is a copy of the e-mail that I received:

Tax Refund Notification

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity, we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 358.50 GBP. Please submit the tax refund request and allow 6-9 days in order to process it.

Refund Me Now

Note: A refund cand be delayed a variety of reasons, for example submitting invalid records or applying after deadline.

Yours sincerely,
    HM Revenue & Customs
    Refund Department
    No virus found in this message.
    Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
    Version: 2015.0.5646 / Virus Database: 4284/9089 - Release Date: 02/10/15
    Last edited by csl; 10-02-2015 at 12:24. Reason: Phishing link deleted

Same as all the email scams. Hover over the link and you'll see they are trying to take you to some random phishing page to tempt you into entering details.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Same as all the email scams. Hover over the link and you'll see they are trying to take you to some random phishing page to tempt you into entering details.
    That is exactly what I suspected which is why I didn't even bother spending the time to click on the link which says Refund Me Now

Definitely never click the link, just hover over it to see the URL. In addition to the pages potentially carrying malware, some of the links will have a unique identifier so just clicking on it confirms to them that you got the email and that your email address is valid which then makes your email address a target for further spam!

Yes, a scam. I get the same email several times a week.
    In fact, HMR&C will never contact you by email, so anything supposedly from them is dodgy.

i had one last year supposed to be from swansea for road tax ,all ********,
    DONT START

I get the tax refund one regularly. I get it via text as well as email.

i get update your details every couple of months from "my bank"santander saying if u dont we will freeze your account .mm been with another bank for 35 years and it aint scamtander.so fill your boots mr negumo from nigeria