Which Heart Rate Monitor?

FrenchieBoy

I've not long got back from the Cardio Rehab Unit where I have just started weekly physiotherapy sessions to help improve my situation after having some stents put in last November. The session was fine - In fact a bit of fun as I was with three other chaps and two ladies who had all had stents done, so we all had something in common to chat about while we were exercising.
There was a Cardio Physiotherapist there along with 2 nurses keeping an eye on everything so all was well.
However during the second half of the session I did push myself (As the physiotherapist put it) "A little harder than I should have" which put my heart rate up quite a bit higher than she would have really wanted me to. There were no problems and I felt OK(ish) with my heart rate going up to around 127 to 130, but it did take a while to come back down during the "cooling off exercises". I should add that all of the time I was wearing a NHS Heart Rate Monitor.
The thing is that I want to get into using my mountain bike (Not off road) in order to help improve my fitness (Something which the physiotherapist says will be an aid to getting back to full fitness) but I do have a habit of "pushing myself a little harder than I ought to without realising just how hard I am pushing myself" at times - Something that I suspect that many of us are guilty of this from time to time!
With that in mind I believe that the easiest way to avoid this is to get my own Heart Rate Monitor, but the question is "Which one would be a good buy"? I have just looked on "The Bay" and they seem to range from around a fiver (I suspect very "cheap and cheerful") up to about sixty pounds (A little more than I would want to pay even though we shouldn't put a price on our health) so do any of you have experience of Heart Rate Monitors, and if so which one would you suggest as a reasonable good buy "without breaking the bank" please?

Glad to know your'e recovering well.
My father was told last week he had a leaky valve,and a stent or pacemaker was in order.
He's just ad the little box to monitor,and Im not sure of when the op will be.
So we're all a bit worried,but good to see you're doing well.

The Polar ones are pretty good and usually can be linked to treadmills etc in the gym too, or the add-ons that attach to your smart phone too. You can spend loads on ones that have GPS and other gizmos too or you can get one for £15 that just gives you heart rate and a stop watch. I went for the cheap one and it has worked fine and lasted 3 years so far.

Last edited:
Polar are very good. I used one for about 8 years when training for competitions. It is what looks like a watch which links to a "bra strap" style monitor that sends your heart rate to the display on the 'watch' wirelessly.

I have just looked on their website and the entry level FT1 will do what you need it to. £45ish but it comes highly recommended, if only by me :)

http://www.polar.com/uk-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT1

Probably available elswhere slightly cheaper but avoid cheap copies.

~James

Polar are very good. I used one for about 8 years when training for competitions. It is what looks like a watch which links to a "bra strap" style monitor that sends your heart rate to the display on the 'watch' wirelessly.

I have just looked on their website and the entry level FT1 will do what you need it to. £45ish but it comes highly recommended, if only by me :)

http://www.polar.com/uk-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT1

Probably available elswhere slightly cheaper but avoid cheap copies.

~James

That sounds exactly like the one that I was using today which was issued by the NHS Physio!
I have asked for experienced opinions as I am quite wary of "cheap and cheerful" initations which could turn out to be a complete waste of money!
Many thanks for your replies so far guys!

When I used to race triathlons, which is a few years ago now, I used cardiosport heart rate monitors. The big advantage over Polar (which I also used) was that you could replace the batteries in the watch and chest strap yourself without having to send it to polar (which cost 25 quid back then, the late 90's). I also found that you got additional functionality with a cardiosport for less money. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I did buy a cardiosport again two years ago when I started training harder again and I've been happy with it. Polar are great but you may get a bit more for a bit less with cardiosport.

It sounds like the function you need especially is an audible alarm when your HR rises abover a certain rate. Make sure that whatever make you get has this function.
All the best,
Feugh.

In a similar condition, but without stent (atrial fibrillation) my beloved bought me a Garmin Forerunner 15. Expensive at £120, but great for biking - shows you where you have been, as well as reporting your heartrate. It also has a pedometer, very good for getting your arse of the seat!

Good luck, hope you continue recovering

Adrian

Back