Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Falling over with a rifel warning

Falling over with a rifel warning

I went stalking with Robin and Geoff on the 2nd and on the last stalk of the day I slid feet first down a bank and landed on my back. Rifle was on my shoulder one up the spout, safety on and fortunately it didn’t appear damaged. I wiped the mud off, checked the mod wasn’t plugged and we carried on.

Sadly the deer eluded us as they were all stood in a field with no shot available

The day ended and the following morning I was cleaning the muck off the Sako when I thought it might be a good idea to check the zero

Off down the farm and I set up my normal 4 X A4 targets on the board and at 100m I set the cross hairs on the top left target and squeezed

Total miss

Having failed to see any holes in the paper with my spotting scope I walked down and found to my dismay an untouched board.

This time I aimed for the centre of the board in the middle of the four A4 sized targets and to my horror a hole appeared about 275mm left of where I was aiming.

Re load and squeeze off another and I get another hole in pretty much the exact same spot

So my fall had knocked my zero badly. I was expecting an inch or so but I was amazed at nearly a foot??

Six rounds later and I had a neat little set of holes in the right place but it was a scary thought that I might have shot at a deer and been a foot out

I am inclined to say next time I fall on my arse with a rifle on my back I will check zero in the field. I don’t know what the etiquette is for this but I’d rather bang off a round and be sure I still have zero than wound a deer

So what do you lot think. Especially the guides. Should you test zero after a fall?

Sako 75 Zeiss Duralite & 30m optilock rings and bases if any one thinks thats relevent

ATB

Chasey

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    Should you test zero after a fall?
    Definitely. If the rifle sustains a significant knock then you shouldn't trust it until checking zero.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Definitely. If the rifle sustains a significant knock then you shouldn't trust it until checking zero.
    So say to the guide, hang on I am just going to stick a round in that tree 100m away to be sure?

I am now inclined to think thats a good idea but id rather embarase myself by asking on here than in the field

ATB

Chasey

Yes always check zero after the the rifle has taken a knock, or after any unexplained miss.

So say to the guide, hang on I am just going to stick a round in that tree 100m away to be sure?
    Just say to the guide that you've knocked your rifle and you're concerned about the zero and want to check it. Let them suggest where to do it! They will have a 'range'/zeroing spot, hopefully somewhere away from where you are trying to stalk!

Any guide worth his salt would suggest you check it after such a knock.

Not sure what kit you have, but I have a Rem 700 with a NightForce scope and mounts. It has taken quite a few knocks over the past 15 years, me falling over, bashed on rocks on the hill, banged on car doors etc. I always check it afterwards but it has never been off. Always surprises me. They are built like brick out houses and a bit heavy, but when they give that performance I'm happy to put up with the down sides.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Any guide worth his salt would suggest you check it after such a knock.

I am the one with a gun in my hand. I feel i should take the responsabuility of deciding how bad the fall was and how much risk there was of dammage to the gun.

ATB

Chasey

I once went totally over forwards in a full somersalt whilst carrying my Blaser topped with my Z6i
    Checked for blockages and then Zero.
    Hey presto Still on !
    Guess I was very lucky.

I am the one with a gun in my hand. I feel i should take the responsabuility of deciding how bad the fall was and how much risk there was of dammage to the gun.

ATB

Chasey
    Chasey , don't leave anything to chance when you are shooting at live animals , you owe them that at least , nothing worse than wounding something because of a failure to check your zero after a bad fall , but I appreciate you already no this , good advise to newcomers though , happy hunting arron.