Falling over with a rifel warning

Chasey

I went stalking with Robin and Geoff on the 2nd and on the last stalk of the day I slid feet first down a bank and landed on my back. Rifle was on my shoulder one up the spout, safety on and fortunately it didn’t appear damaged. I wiped the mud off, checked the mod wasn’t plugged and we carried on.

Sadly the deer eluded us as they were all stood in a field with no shot available

The day ended and the following morning I was cleaning the muck off the Sako when I thought it might be a good idea to check the zero

Off down the farm and I set up my normal 4 X A4 targets on the board and at 100m I set the cross hairs on the top left target and squeezed

Total miss

Having failed to see any holes in the paper with my spotting scope I walked down and found to my dismay an untouched board.

This time I aimed for the centre of the board in the middle of the four A4 sized targets and to my horror a hole appeared about 275mm left of where I was aiming.

Re load and squeeze off another and I get another hole in pretty much the exact same spot

So my fall had knocked my zero badly. I was expecting an inch or so but I was amazed at nearly a foot??

Six rounds later and I had a neat little set of holes in the right place but it was a scary thought that I might have shot at a deer and been a foot out

I am inclined to say next time I fall on my arse with a rifle on my back I will check zero in the field. I don’t know what the etiquette is for this but I’d rather bang off a round and be sure I still have zero than wound a deer

So what do you lot think. Especially the guides. Should you test zero after a fall?

Sako 75 Zeiss Duralite & 30m optilock rings and bases if any one thinks thats relevent

ATB

Chasey

Definitely. If the rifle sustains a significant knock then you shouldn't trust it until checking zero.

So say to the guide, hang on I am just going to stick a round in that tree 100m away to be sure?

I am now inclined to think thats a good idea but id rather embarase myself by asking on here than in the field

ATB

Chasey

So say to the guide, hang on I am just going to stick a round in that tree 100m away to be sure?

Just say to the guide that you've knocked your rifle and you're concerned about the zero and want to check it. Let them suggest where to do it! They will have a 'range'/zeroing spot, hopefully somewhere away from where you are trying to stalk!

Not sure what kit you have, but I have a Rem 700 with a NightForce scope and mounts. It has taken quite a few knocks over the past 15 years, me falling over, bashed on rocks on the hill, banged on car doors etc. I always check it afterwards but it has never been off. Always surprises me. They are built like brick out houses and a bit heavy, but when they give that performance I'm happy to put up with the down sides.

Any guide worth his salt would suggest you check it after such a knock.

I am the one with a gun in my hand. I feel i should take the responsabuility of deciding how bad the fall was and how much risk there was of dammage to the gun.

ATB

Chasey

I once went totally over forwards in a full somersalt whilst carrying my Blaser topped with my Z6i
Checked for blockages and then Zero.
Hey presto Still on !
Guess I was very lucky.

I am the one with a gun in my hand. I feel i should take the responsabuility of deciding how bad the fall was and how much risk there was of dammage to the gun.

ATB

Chasey
Chasey , don't leave anything to chance when you are shooting at live animals , you owe them that at least , nothing worse than wounding something because of a failure to check your zero after a bad fall , but I appreciate you already no this , good advise to newcomers though , happy hunting arron.

i dropped my z6i during the red rutt.The strap came off and it bounced off the forest floor.it was off nearly 2 foot.was i glad the shot didnt present its self

Electricians tape across the end of the mod/barrel will ensure that it never gets water or mud inside it. It makes no difference to the POA but plugging is one thing that you will never have to worry about again.
Baguio

By any chance had mud gotten between the barrel and the stock. Happened to my friend, so he rezeroed as he thought it was the scope off. About a week later he couldn't get within an ass's roar of a fox. The mud had dried out and fallen out from the forend leaving him way off in the opposite direction. We stripped it and cleaned out, zeroed and back in business. It did knock his confidence in the mean time as he thought he was just missing

had the same issue at malcs in november ,sling broke rifle clonked a fence good and proper .thought it was ok .NOOO .totally missed a shot on a fallow at 80 yds.off to malcs range sight was out by about 5" to the right and 2"low.re zeroed and that afternoon got my first fallow deer ,cheers to malc for his patience and coaching.now if i have a knock il rezero as a first priority atb

I slipped carrying my .222 muzzle down
as I fell back the muzzle rose but I landed with full weight on the bottom of the rifle ramming the scope into the ground with a proper thump.
hurt my arm in the process!!

luckily at the end of the stalk

on checking the zero I was pleased it was bang on.

the scope?
£50 worth of Nikko Stirlings chest production from the 1970's!!!

Was out with one of my mates a few years back shooting and he had a good old meopta 7x50 on top of a tikka t3... shot some sika hinds and went to collect the quad to retrieve them put the rifle on the rack and we were talking and he forgot to secure the rifle.
he jumped on the quad and headed down into a stream to see the rifle slide off the front to a sicking thud into a stone, ouch I thought to myself as I seen a thumb size dent in the scope. so three rounds down the tube - all touching bang were they should of been.
I have always been quite impressed with those little workhorses since then!

By any chance had mud gotten between the barrel and the stock. Happened to my friend, so he rezeroed as he thought it was the scope off. About a week later he couldn't get within an ass's roar of a fox. The mud had dried out and fallen out from the forend leaving him way off in the opposite direction. We stripped it and cleaned out, zeroed and back in business. It did knock his confidence in the mean time as he thought he was just missing

Excelent point which I will look into

Many thanks

ATB

Chasey

I could be wrong but once you get into reasnoble quality scopes I dont think it matters if its a Z6i or a Nicko Sterling. Its just where you hit it on that occasion.

I have dropped my mobile phone 100s of times without cracking the screen then one time it just shatters :(

As above it could be a floating barrel issue or even just the mounts not being as tight as they could be.

ATB

Chasey

I keep a laser dot bullet in my case . I know its not any good for zeroing but it tells me if its miles out. I do mark it top so it fits in the same place each time. Once you know where it normally goes it puts you at ease. woodfordfallow

Last summer whilst out foxing had remmy 700 in AICS on bipod on roof of motor, anyway for some unknown reason jumped in motor reversed back over some big ruts stopped and to my absolute horror found rifle lying on the deck. Head filled with doom. Anyway on examination just some mud and scuffs on the AICS. Checked zero spot on, not moved!!! Leupold Mk 4 tactical in Leupold mounts and bases. Say no more.

Just a comment to thoose who have lost POI form a knock. I suggest you loosen all the rings/bases, retighten then re zero in that way you have unstressed mounts and are sure all is OK.

D

Back