Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Security of Shotgun Cartridges

Security of Shotgun Cartridges

Facts:
    Victim of crime has car stolen and tells the police a box of 25 x cartridges were on the back seat;
    Car is recovered the next day together with the cartridges intact;
    Victim of crime receives an unannounced visit by police to check gun security. All in order;
    Victim of crime receives a letter from Chief of police warning him his certificate(s) may be revoked because his suitability is in question.

Your comments would be appreciated. Has he done anything wrong? How would the police defend a challenge on appeal in court or if it does not go to court if the victim of crime tries to clear his name. Have the police any powers in the circumstances?

Thanks

Smacks of police out of control. The letter should be highlighted to the PCC by
    No warning letter should be issued, this is not a suitability issue.

do you have a copy of the letter which force??

No crime committed shotgun cartridges do not need to be locked away

I don't think any offences have been committed. The law merely says that when purchasing cartridges you have to have a shotgun certificate and the seller has to see it. You don't even need to have a certificate to possess them. Neither is there any legislation specifying security of cartridges.

However, anyone who leaves his car with a box of cartridges in plain view on the back seat is asking for it to fall into the hands of some unsavoury characters.

You don't say whether the car was locked and where the keys were. Or indeed where the car was. A spur of the moment joyride, which this appears to be, with car security these days is generally committed where the car is unlocked and the keys are present. So if the car is left where cartridges are in plain view on the back seat, the vehicle is unlocked and the keys are with it, I think the police will at least consider whether this person is a fit and proper person to have a certificate. Shouldn't like to guess the outcome of those deliberations.

write a letter to the chief constable asking why a warning has been sent

Regular Poster
    Can't see that any offence has been committed. No requirement for shotgun carts to be locked away so you're ok on that. Personally I always leave mine out of sight and in a locked briefcase in the boot whilst travelling, but that's not a requirement. It may be different it this was a habit, and he wasn't going out shooting, but if he had a reasonable excuse for why they were in the car in the first place he should be in the clear. I could possibly understand the check of security, just as standard practice, but if everything was fine with that I fail to see how they can take it further. I think most forces, as well as basc etc. recommend having them out of sight and away from temptation both in the home and whilst travelling, but those are just recommendations to the best of my knowledge.

You are all singing my song up to now. Thanks.
    Vehicle was locked, keys stolen from house in a burglary. Vehicle recovered 100 miles away used in another crime.
    Not sure if that changes anything but as a victim of crime does he need this type of fuss???

I'm pretty sure that the police would rather not have ammunition fall into the hands of criminals and that Is what happened.
    You can't expect them to be pleased. The more this sort of thing happens the more likely that shotgun ammunition will be legally required to be locked up the same as section 1.
    The logic of this is inescapable.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

My thoughts precicely PF

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the police would rather not have ammunition fall into the hands of criminals and that Is what happened.
    You can't expect them to be pleased. The more this sort of thing happens the more likely that shotgun ammunition will be legally required to be locked up the same as section 1.
    The logic of this is inescapable.
    To be fair....when pigeon shooting I usually take a slab (250) then fill my cartridge bag (120-130) take the long trip to the hide and get on with my day...at some point I might need some more rounds so I head back to the truck with as many pigeons I can carry.
    If I was unlucky and some scrote nicked the truck with half a slab then would I be in the same position, given the rounds were in the cab out of sight and on the farm headland....

Tim.243