Thread: Turkeyhunter

Turkeyhunter

Hello. I've been lurking on this site for quite a while and read several very interesting threads, motivated me to join. Live in Maryland, USA. Avid outdoorsman, hunt, fish, trek, rock climb, cave. Hunting is for deer (eastern US whitetail), turkey (you probably could have guessed that), waterfowl, and small game. Primarily a bowhunter for deer, but have on occasion tossed a couple slugs into the 12 gauge for those really looonnnggg shots.

Hi Turkeyhunter!!! Just wanted to say cool about being a bowhunter!

4x

Welcome Turkey Hunter. Always think turkey hunting must be a fascinating sport

welcome turkey hunter, are Turkey as intelligent as the shows make out?

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyhunter View Post
    Hello. I've been lurking on this site for quite a while and read several very interesting threads, motivated me to join. Live in Maryland, USA. Avid outdoorsman, hunt, fish, trek, rock climb, cave. Hunting is for deer (eastern US whitetail), turkey (you probably could have guessed that), waterfowl, and small game. Primarily a bowhunter for deer, but have on occasion tossed a couple slugs into the 12 gauge for those really looonnnggg shots.
    Exactly what is a "Looonnnggg" shot?

SS

I don't think they are a smart as the shows portray, but they have amazing eyesight and are very wary creatures. Takes a lot of woods time to find them and even more to get them in range. And they are absolutely a blast to hunt. Nothing like sending out a few clucks and getting a thundering gobble back.

A long shot - haven't shot a deer over 30 yards in the last 15 years, but I could reach out and touch one with the Mossberg about 80 yards - if I had to. No I don't hunt over bait, I spend a lot of time in the woods figuring the beasts out.

As a fellow turkey hunter, I agree they probably aren't highly intelligent. However, they are highly paranoid. I think they believe anything larger than a squirrel wants to eat them! As a result, they are extremely cautious and alert to the slightest movement. I, generally, don't shoot them anymore, but I really enjoy calling them in for others. Recent photo from my farm in TennesseeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	945.2 KB 
ID:	52837