.243 Full length or neck sizing dies, ? which one

Cyres

Hi Guys,

Just about to start reloading for my .243. Which die set should I buy and why.

I only neck size my .223, and currently use RCBS and Redding dies.

Many thanks

D

I'm just reloading the last of my first.243 cases that where once fired federal cases that i had neck sized only and to be honest they're bit of a tight fit in my chamber,next time around i'm going to try partially resizing them in the FL die as i only use them for hunting i rekon they'll be a bit better fit.
Neil.

Were they fired from your rifle, you should only neck, size if being used in the rifle they were fired from, also run through the die give case a quarter turn and run them through again, should not be tight in once fired cases.

Probably teaching my granny to suck eggs.

I think for a general purpose hunting rifle, partial-FL resizing is the way to go. The last thing you want when stalking is a round that won't chamber or requires a lot of bolt effort to close.

Hi Guys,

Just about to start reloading for my .243. Which die set should I buy and why.

I only neck size my .223, and currently use RCBS and Redding dies.

Many thanks

D

If you have been happy with the results of neck sizing only on your .223 I think the same will apply to your .243.
I only neck size for both my .243 and .270 only full sizing cases that have been given to me and not fire formed to my rifles.
To date I have not had any problems with chambering these reloads.Just as finnbear270 has said though get the three then you have the choice.

John.

Were they fired from your rifle, you should only neck, size if being used in the rifle they were fired from, also run through the die give case a quarter turn and run them through again, should not be tight in once fired cases.

Probably teaching my granny to suck eggs.

Bogtrotter,yes they were fired in my rifle but they are or were the fed premium stuff which seems to be loaded quite hot for factory ammo, if i left an empty case in there while the gun cooled they were quite stiff to extract,i'm guessing my chamber might be a bit on the tight side to begin with,they fit ok but its just hard work on the bolt getting them in there but when fired they extract ok,i think partial sizing should be a good compromise but haven't tried it yet.
Neil

How is the overall case length?,.......If you have just a smidgeon too much it could still chamber, but would give the symptoms that you describe.

Steve they were all trimmed to the specified 2.035" after neck sizing,there was fair bit of difference in the fired case lenghths before i started though,can't remember how much it was now think it was around .007" between shortest and longest.
Neil.

Sorry to hijack but I'm about to start reloading for my 243. It's a mauser 98 and I'm wondering whether it'll be more tollerant of neck sized (or close tolerance) cases over push feed due to the claw extractor? I assume it will on extraction but what about loading? I've got a FL die but will need a neck sizer

Sorry to hijack but I'm about to start reloading for my 243. It's a mauser 98 and I'm wondering whether it'll be more tollerant of neck sized (or close tolerance) cases over push feed due to the claw extractor? I assume it will on extraction but what about loading? I've got a FL die but will need a neck sizer
You should be fine with neck and full sized. Have never had a problem with a Mauser actioned rifle. Mannlichers yes as sometimes they can have tight chambers...like most austrian fillies :)

Guys,

Yet to shoot a shot through my HOWA the cases I have are once fired but not through my rifle. I was lead to believe that they would stretch and would benifit from a F/L resize. Can't say I will shoot that many as my .223 deals with most situations. I undertand that I can partial resize with a F/L die so would it best to buy the F/L set only?

D

Cyres,if they havent been fire formed in your rifles chamber then you should definatley FL resize the cases,once fired in your rifle you can then try neck sizing only but its not essential for hunting rounds,by backing off the FL die you can neck size the case without bumping the shoulder right back thus putting less strain on the brass but achieving a better fit to chamber than FL sizing does.Hope that makes sense,either way your going to need a FL die to start with even if you neck size in between you'll still have to FL size every three loadings or so to get the brass back into shape.
Neil.

Back