Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this

Opinions on this

I shot this Roe Doe on Tuesday morning. What you are looking at in the picture is a photo of a "growth" of some kind attached to the fat which covers the fillet (in-between the kidneys and the groin area) and its about the size of a sloe berry.
    Observations prior to the shot and the subsequent gralloch identified a healthy animal. The experienced stalkers I know have no idea and as such the carcass will not be going for human consumption much to my dogs delight.
    Your opinions as always are appreciated,
    bryn
    Attachment 52762

Could be a cyst due to a localised infection, maybe? Never seen anything like that before though
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Looks like a swollen lymph node. The little red one next to it is what is should look like. If the rest of the lymph nodes are all ok then it is probably just a sign of local infection and the carcass should be ok.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Looks like a swollen lymph node
    Never even occurred to me
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

That's the great thing about this site , just ask and some one will put you right with no dramas, we all have to learn !

It could be a lymph node, or a haemic node but this looks like it has a small tag of fascial tissue attached - I presume it was free moving? So it might be a mesenteric node left behind. It could be a bit of necrotic fat, but going out on a limb a bit, I wonder if it is an ovary. It looks OK to me and if all other nodes and carcass inspection were normal it's probably fit - as your dogs may well be telling you. If you really want to know, take it off and, once the rest of the inspection is finished and it is away from the carcass, cut into it. I wouldn't normally advocate that in the field, but I see no problem once in a controlled environment (before I gets told off!).

Looks to me to be just a swollen Hemal node as it is clearly attached to another close by. This is part of a ruminant lymphatic system and shows as small 'black bean' type nodes in the thorax or abdo areas. I cant see how it could be an ovary as it is clearly attached to the inside of the main body? Mesenteric nodes are surely firmly fixed within the small intestine?
    MS

You're probably right. However, the ovary is attached behind the kidney up against the top of the abdomen and the mesenteric root that hangs all the intestines is in a similar place. It's the wrong shape for an ovary (and wrong size given the time of year) but it was so yellow that I wondered about some oddity.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    You're probably right. However, the ovary is attached behind the kidney up against the top of the abdomen and the mesenteric root that hangs all the intestines is in a similar place. It's the wrong shape for an ovary (and wrong size given the time of year) but it was so yellow that I wondered about some oddity.
    Interesting, I've never really looked at where the reproductive bits attach!
    You'd be amazed at how many 'deer experts' don't know what the little purple/black nodes are though! I did 3 DSC 2 stalks for a vet once which was quite educational even though I was the witness! He pointed out bits during his gralloch that I didn't even know existed!
    MS

I have to confess to doing some background research on the haemic nodes, they don't tend to occur much in the main farm species!