Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Knive/bone saw starter sets

Recommendations for Knive/bone saw starter sets

I'm hopefully going to go to the shooting show on Sunday and remember from previous visits that there are normally a few sellers selling knives and want to add a few more bits to my stalking kit and I would like some recommendations for a starter set of knives/bone saw for both out in the field for bleeding and gralloching and also a butchery set, i'm not looking at spending silly money though.

Thanks in Advance

Mora clipper are great for gralloch knives (I also use one for most of my skinning and butchery as well, lol)
    inhave a gerber ez saw not sure if these are still available but it's very similar to the bushwear one.

Check out Monarch Country Supplies as they have a good range of kit you are looking for at good prices. Rob is very helpful, and gives very good advice. If you don`t see anything at the fair, bear them in mind.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Primer View Post
    I'm hopefully going to go to the shooting show on Sunday and remember from previous visits that there are normally a few sellers selling knives and want to add a few more bits to my stalking kit and I would like some recommendations for a starter set of knives/bone saw for both out in the field for bleeding and gralloching and also a butchery set, i'm not looking at spending silly money though.

Thanks in Advance
    As said above, the Frosts Mora Clipper is an excellent all-round knife. If you can, try to get one with the flourescent orange handle.

Regarding saws, for gralloching in the field the only one I'd comfortably recommend is the Sagen saw.

The only knife I might then consider adding is a skinner. I've tried several over the years but I still go back to my original Buck 103: 103 Skinnerâ„¢ Knife - Buck Knives OFFICIAL SITE

I would strongly endorse NeilG's comments regarding Monarch Country Supplies. I ordered an Outdoor Edge Zip-Pro knife from Rob last Friday and it arrived in Saturday morning's post. Top advice and top service to go with it
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

EKA swing blade knife is superb and I have a castrum (SP) boan saw which is good too

Best to have two knives incase one gets contaminated I baught an expensive one but wish id just baught another EKA

Keeps its edge well and the sheith is excelent

Watched Robin to a gralock with an inexpensive Opinell and that was impresive

ATB

Sagen bone saw 2 bought from mmbeatle on here does the job well. As for knives, hultafors does nice cheap 4" or so sheath knife that holds a good edge.

monarch all the way exellent service and prices

For a saw B&Q you do not need one in the field 2 for £10, as to a knife, the best you can afford,buy cheap buy twice

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    For a saw B&Q you do not need one in the field 2 for £10, as to a knife, the best you can afford,buy cheap buy twice
    I'm inclined to disagree.

I spent many years cutting the breastbone in the field with my knife, but then realised that (a) I was blunting my knife, and (b) it was actually easier with a small saw.

Regarding cheap knives, if I'm honest I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in performance between a Mora Clipper and my Alan Wood or Stu Mitchell customs. Sure, they are beautiful knives and using them is a real pleasure, but is there a tangible difference, at least when it comes to gralloching one or two deer in the field per outing? IMHO it's like the difference between using a Bic biro and a Montblanc 149 to sign a cheque - both will achieve the objective but one makes the journey getting there a whole lot more enjoyable.

What a blessing there's no right answer for questions like this....
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I have a couple of "What-A-Saw"s and am very impressed with their versatility and compactness when folded. They come with three blades and will do pretty much everything a hunter needs but I rarely carry one while hunting. I have gone the custom knife route and come back to using mostly production knives now as I grow more impatient and unlikely to wait two years for a new one. Currently I am using in most cases an Ontario copy of the WWII Army Quartermaster's knife. It is plenty stout and holds a good edge.

SS