Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: google maps

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

google maps

Just a quick question to anyone who uses them for the following.

I have used them for a few years now and in the past 2 I have used them for locating where poachers/long dogers/ travellers have come onto the estate etc.(to help police etc)

what I wanted to ask was how many people use them to look at their shooting land or estate etc.

I know that they are not up to date but what do you look for etc.

thanks

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

hi bob i flick on them to see like you access on and off and also if theres any likely holding places for fox/deer/bunnies woods ditches etc also other farms nearby ,that may border on to it and footpaths as well, roads etc,
    DONT START

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    hi bob i flick on them to see like you access on and off and also if theres any likely holding places for fox/deer/bunnies woods ditches etc also other farms nearby ,that may border on to it and footpaths as well, roads etc,
    that's the sort of thing,

drew

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

[woods ditches etc also other farms nearby ,that may border on to it and footpaths as well, roads etc,]

Yep that's what I use it to check for -then together with Promap create my map of the area

oh and especially for lamping to check for landmarks pylons roads etc,im ok at night but my mates terrible he gets lost in asda! he once carried on walking into dumfries nearly six miles from were he should have been, luckily he only had an air rifle years ago,
    DONT START

You may be interested to note that Google do an application which you can download to your PC called "Google Earth." This has some interesting features over and above the online browser based maps.

Recently they have made the Pro version of Google Earth free, you just register and download it. Now I have a feeling that this will be for a trail period only but it is well worth having. One big advantage is that you can measure distances and even draw around an area and it will calculate the number of acres, or square km. When managing an area this is really useful as there are often well established deer densities for given vegetation and habitat types and so knowing the area can give you a pretty good estimate of the number of deer you have on the ground.

I have a feeling that the pro version may also allow interfacing with various GPS units that record tracks and so on but have never looked into that.

However, well worth a few minutes to register and install as it offers features that you will find useful.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I've often used it when looking for new stalking permissions to estimate land size. ie shows where tractors etc have been driving between fields to indicate which are linked and likely form the same place.

I was surprised after one place I do some groundwork for showed up a clearing that I cleared in the middle of a wood on Google maps about 3 months later!

SD Regular
    A key tool in land recce Bob - using the measuring tools to get rough distances to landmarks etc, marking key landmarks to be checked in the field. As has been said, finding gates etc - all invaluable - but not foolproof...!!

There's a free app on iStore for those with that bent called (originally) - distance measure. You'll never guess what it does....... (does areas too). I also use things like ActInNature, GPS Trimble and the Nike running app to plot courses, progress etc.

I have calls on my phone and also a 3G W/T that I can use to communicate easily with others when out (where there's a signal).
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 12-02-2015 at 15:38. Reason: Additional info added
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Try distance measure on iPad, Google Earth but allows you to range certain areas of interest