google maps

bobjs

Just a quick question to anyone who uses them for the following.

I have used them for a few years now and in the past 2 I have used them for locating where poachers/long dogers/ travellers have come onto the estate etc.(to help police etc)

what I wanted to ask was how many people use them to look at their shooting land or estate etc.

I know that they are not up to date but what do you look for etc.

thanks

bob.

hi bob i flick on them to see like you access on and off and also if theres any likely holding places for fox/deer/bunnies woods ditches etc also other farms nearby ,that may border on to it and footpaths as well, roads etc,

hi bob i flick on them to see like you access on and off and also if theres any likely holding places for fox/deer/bunnies woods ditches etc also other farms nearby ,that may border on to it and footpaths as well, roads etc,

that's the sort of thing,

drew

bob.

[woods ditches etc also other farms nearby ,that may border on to it and footpaths as well, roads etc,]

Yep that's what I use it to check for -then together with Promap create my map of the area

oh and especially for lamping to check for landmarks pylons roads etc,im ok at night but my mates terrible he gets lost in asda! he once carried on walking into dumfries nearly six miles from were he should have been, luckily he only had an air rifle years ago,:eek:

You may be interested to note that Google do an application which you can download to your PC called "Google Earth." This has some interesting features over and above the online browser based maps.

Recently they have made the Pro version of Google Earth free, you just register and download it. Now I have a feeling that this will be for a trail period only but it is well worth having. One big advantage is that you can measure distances and even draw around an area and it will calculate the number of acres, or square km. When managing an area this is really useful as there are often well established deer densities for given vegetation and habitat types and so knowing the area can give you a pretty good estimate of the number of deer you have on the ground.

I have a feeling that the pro version may also allow interfacing with various GPS units that record tracks and so on but have never looked into that.

However, well worth a few minutes to register and install as it offers features that you will find useful.

I've often used it when looking for new stalking permissions to estimate land size. ie shows where tractors etc have been driving between fields to indicate which are linked and likely form the same place.

I was surprised after one place I do some groundwork for showed up a clearing that I cleared in the middle of a wood on Google maps about 3 months later!

A key tool in land recce Bob - using the measuring tools to get rough distances to landmarks etc, marking key landmarks to be checked in the field. As has been said, finding gates etc - all invaluable - but not foolproof...!!

There's a free app on iStore for those with that bent called (originally) - distance measure. You'll never guess what it does....... (does areas too). I also use things like ActInNature, GPS Trimble and the Nike running app to plot courses, progress etc.

I have calls on my phone and also a 3G W/T that I can use to communicate easily with others when out (where there's a signal).

Last edited:
fan tastic lads

I cant look now as filming is on and im busy but thank you all for the input..keep it coming

regards

bob.

yes mty i did to find out the terrain /land relief also to see how and what is behind that big thick wood !! i also used it to make a range map for ark's of safe fire poi's and tracks etc.

ps bob items in post :thumb:

The following site (when they haven't exceeded their daily allowance of OS Maps) is really handy, as it allows you to compare OS maps and Google maps, side by side.

This means that you can see where paths and other features are that may not be obvious from Google maps.

Where's The Path 3

It also allows you to check distances etc.

"Fields area measure" is another app for android. Pretty much does what it says on the tin. If im going lamping somewhere that i don't know too well I'll study the length of certain fields. Its handy as i know then that i only need to take out the range finder for certain spots.

I use Memory Map for the O.S. view (1:25k & 1:50K of all UK) as it is clearer to see some things & is good for accurate positioning & altitude indication. Plus Google Earth/maps for the pictorial aspect - Where there are roads I use Street View to look at entrances etc.
That way I get to know places before I ever go there.

Ian

I use google maps/earth a lot. It's great for spotting rides in deep forestry that you can't always see when you have your feet on the ground so to speak.

It's also a fantastic tool when you're having a duff day at work, a few clicks and I'm almost in Argyll checking out likely looking spots to stalk during my next trip north.

Back