Available: Venison butchery course Flimwell East sussex

yes it seems expensive, but with only five students and five carcasses to butcher it should be very interesting and plenty of hands on instruction,

Hi chasey, funny that we were talking about butchery courses and this came up, hope you enjoy the day, Cheers Geoff

i am a butcher to trade and find it funny it takes about 4 years to learn a to be a butcher. but someone can teach somebody in one day how to butcher a deer. it would be interesting to know how many people have done these "one day" butchery courses and when they are themselves remember what to do with the carcase.especially the price they charge.
i find it is like doing a one day coarse in being a electrician and going to rewire a house.
sorry but just a money earner for somebody

See your point midge but also most of us want the satisfaction of taking the product / beast from field to fork.....,I'm no butcher don't profess to be but I try my best to strip & use whatever I can .....

That's why we do it .... Supply & demand .... Folk want to learn

Paul

I went on a one day butchery course at Chart farm, we were shown how to break down the carcass then to joint the haunches, i came away having learn enough to do the job to a reasonable standard, obviously not as good as a trained butcher but the end product was delicious, As a qualified electrician i could easily show you how to rewire a house in a day and i am sure you would make a very good job of it, it is really not that difficult, Geoff

I know how to butcher and prep but I think when I say butcher I tend to mean more hack! it would be nice to be able to actually butcher the carcass properly!
However at £200 I think I could be persuaded to carry on hacking my carcasses. I don't mind paying good money but when your doing their work for them and your not even shooting the animal first!!!!!!

Im sure the course will give some very valuable info though

Last edited:
I am booked on so Ill see how it goes and get back to you all.

200 is a bit more than I wanted to pay but the location is convenient.

ATB

Chasey

I went on a one day butchery course at Chart farm, we were shown how to break down the carcass then to joint the haunches, i came away having learn enough to do the job to a reasonable standard, obviously not as good as a trained butcher but the end product was delicious, As a qualified electrician i could easily show you how to rewire a house in a day and i am sure you would make a very good job of it, it is really not that difficult, Geoff

I did that course at Chart with Andy Papworth, I now butcher my own carcases, true a course of this nature cannot compare with a professional butcher but you do come away with a sound knowledge of breaking the carcase down into useable joints, well worth the money imo.
like anything else in life you improve with practise.

regards WB

Back