Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highseat Warning Signs (download)

Post Highseat Warning Signs (download)

Just knocked these up for our shoot work party this weekend and thought they might be of use so I'll upload on here too. I made them large enough to be easily visible/readable from close up but not so large as to draw too much attention from afar!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High Seat Warning Signs.pdf 
Views:	324 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	52790

thank you. the wife will be busy laminating at work next week

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy22 View Post
    thank you. the wife will be busy laminating at work next week
    That's what I've just done, you can just about squeeze 6 into an A3 pocket

Thank you
    Starbucks. It's not my cup of tea.

At one point in Germany we had a problems with tree-huggers sabotaging ladders by cutting partially through them. Have you had that problem in the UK?

SS

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    At one point in Germany we had a problems with tree-huggers sabotaging ladders by cutting partially through them. Have you had that problem in the UK?

SS
    Yes, I've also had inverted used syringes pointing up into the seat area - and razor blades on the back of the rungs, designed to cut your hands as you climb. Pleasant bunch. Not knocking CSL's sign - but one of the best I have seen is an 'RSPB Bird Watching Station' sign with the appropriate Danger notice underneath - stopped them being vandalised - but not stolen......!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    inverted used syringes pointing up into the seat area - and razor blades on the back of the rungs
    That is just truly foul
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I have no knowledge of this area so I'm just mentioning something which occurs to me.

I suspect that using terms which imply that you've left something dangerous lying about in the countryside is unwise. If someone fell from your highseat and it was to go to court I can't help but think that you would face an argument which went along the lines of "you posted a sign saying that this high seat is dangerous, if you knew it was dangerous why did you leave it in a public place?" At this point it might not end well for you.

The same applies to shooting - putting up a sign saying "Danger - shooting in progress" is a bad idea as you open yourself to being asked why you are doing something you know to pose a danger. All the evidence indicates that shooting is perfectly safe, all the evidence also indicates that high seats are perfectly safe when used by authorised and trained persons and, therefore, neither present any danger to anyone.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

As one with some experience in this area, you are really better off with a sign that simply says Keep Off. Even better if you can physically restrict access. But in all reality, fears of someone trying to sue an individual citizen in this country are largely unfounded. We all read articles about the potential for claims from these sorts of things, but seldom see actual cases brought before the courts. Signs need to be unambiguous and once you start trying to get too clever, you trip yourself up. Keep Off or Do not Climb etc have no potential to be misinterpreted. Once you start to use words like authorised it suggests there is some sort of test, register, log of who is authorised.

I think that those signs are acceptable. They do not indicate failure of the structure. And they are pictorial. For shooting activities, we should be trying to inform and instruct. Shooting in progress - keep to marked footpaths for example admits nothing nor really has the potential to inflame. But these are just examples. Look at road signs. Stop. Give Way, One Way No Entry etc. They don't go into anymore detail than that. Why should we?