Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EU regulation banning ammunition in checked baggage

EU regulation banning ammunition in checked baggage

Hi,

The gist is that ammo will no longer be allowed in checked in baggage - I can't make out if it is EU registered aircraft or all aircraft in/outbound in the EU....

Either way it's a pain.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...055:EN%3a%50DF

Opinions?

It seems to suggest that ammo which we previously carried in a tin box in our suitcase now has to be in a seperate checked in case. So we have to pay for our suitcase, pay excess baggage charge for our rifle case (which is often more expensive than the actual flight costs) and no doubt we will have to pay another excess baggage charge for the ammo case. It will end up at 35 - 40 just to carry 20 rounds of ammo.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

It might be an idea to check on specific plans with your airline?
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel...?link=main_nav
    http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/com..._airfrance.htm
    I have certainly flown KLM and BA with rifles in the past (and on one occasion lost a rifle temporarily), but as the first post states, the rules keep changing.

A possible workaround might be to pack the components separately? primed cases / bullets in pockets of rifle slip, hand press like the lee job in some other portion of luggage, maybe arrange to have powder on site at destination,?.......... I know it sounds a bit involved but if they are going to make things harder to do, play them at their own game? not the best state of affairs but we still have to try?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If I understand this correctly then ammunition may not be checked in as baggage, at all. If by seperate case you mean checked as cargo, then yes, you're right.

I seriously doubt any airline will bother with the opt out clause in 5.4.1.

P.S. this will only take effect April 29th 2010.

Nothing new here. What it means is that you cannot put it inside your suitcase etc.

You can check in a suitable container that ONLY contains your ammunition. Basically a smaller version of your Approved Airline Rifle Case, aka. a pistol case.....

Reason is that baggage handlers treat suitcases, well as baggage....

Rifle and pistol cases tend to be separated and handed over to the relevant police/customs system.

Been warned about in Africa, uSA and Canada for a long while.

Stan

SD Regular
    Ammunition has been prohibited on the Eurostar train since the service began because of "fire risk"!

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Ammunition has been prohibited on the Eurostar train since the service began because of "fire risk"!
    Interesting, I suppose all that fuel in the cars they carry isn't a fire risk. Amazing how some beaurocratic minds work

never mind the tons and tons of highly flammable fuel that planes carry in their wings, or the miles of wiring that goes into them...
    You're alowed lighters on board though!? Go figure.

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    never mind the tons and tons of highly flammable fuel that planes carry in their wings, or the miles of wiring that goes into them...
    You're alowed lighters on board though!? Go figure.
    That depends on which airline and which country you are in.