18 Muntjac and a freak head as well

Just got back from a stint with overseas clients on my areas in Bedfordshire, and for a change the weather was reasonable!!

The total for the 6 outings and 3 clients was 6 Muntjac and 2 CWD, with 4 missed beasts. However on the Tuesday evening I had the most amazing evening on the ground. Both myself and one of the clients had settled into the highseat by 3pm, and within 30 minutes we had 2 CWD enter the field and started to graze. At the same time we had a very nice Munty buck make an appearance about 80yds from the seat, although not in a shootable position.

There was certainly something else coming out behind it, which proved to be a doe. As we were about to squeeze on off the buck turned and went back into cover leaving the doe out. Damn it!! I asked the client if he wanted to stalk the CWD and we decided to go for it. He was not concerned about the sex of the beast and just wanted to take his first CWD. Mission accomplished and back to the seat.

Great I thought plenty of time to get a Munty buck as well? The light began to fade and one by one we could see 4 Munties about 200yds away on the other side of the L shaped field. We left it a little longer in the hope that the buck we had seen earlier would return, but he didn't show. By this time we could see more Muntjac coming out in the far corner. It was at this time that I recommended we stalk into them and get a buck on the floor before the light left us completely.

The client agreed and we started to stalk the nearest two Muntjac which were about 180yds. As we approached the 100yd mark, I was amazed to see a further line of Muntjac piling out of the wood. In total we had 18 Muntjac in front of us. That's the most I have ever seen on this one area of the field, the total before that was 15.
Two quick shots taken with the rifle and two dead Muntjac, One nice representative buck and a doe. Total 3 deer off one area of the field in one evening, and more to the point we could have shot a third as they hardly took any notice of the shots.

WP_20150210_005.jpg

The following evening Tom took one of the other clients to the same spot and shot a huge Munty Buck which would easily make gold, however the buck only had one antler and proved to be a freak head as it had never had another antler and had a slightly malformed pedicle.

V__879D.jpg

All in all a good 3 day hunt with clients, two of whom had hunted with us before. Thanks to Tom and Dan at Woburn we also managed a private tour of Woburn Estate for the clients which they very much appreciated.

Back on the Fallow and Roe this weekend and with a fully booked diary right through to the end of March I am looking forward to a few days off in the Spring.

Good hunting to you all.

What a lucky client! I've never seen anything more than about 6 muntjac at any one time, so seeing 18 would induce a serious case of the yips! Maybe I'll get lucky and see some when I'm out this evening.

That's a very nice head on that buck, and being a malform would be one I'd personally find space for on the wall, Gold medal or not.

Last edited:
That sounds like the same field I shot a muntjac buck in a year ago, and that was a ~180m shot from a highseat. Eighteen muntjac in one go sounds like what they call a target-rich environment though!

Fingers crossed I'll be sat in that field in a couple of weeks .......preferably without the arctic winds of a few weeks ago!

Good show Malc...what a great weekend that must have been, I must get up one of them high seats!

Looks like munty paradise , well done to the clients youself and Tom , see you up there soon I'm looking forward to it. Hope the weather plays ball.

When are you going to find the time to upgrade the knees Malcolm? At the pace you have outlined you may be guiding off an electric wheelchair!

Excellent write up mate and well done, I've been out after munties 3 times last year, I saw 3 but no shot represented its self. I did grass a CWD doe though on the last morning stalk. That's my aim this year a nice munty buck before the cover gets too thick again,

even though the cover was still high end of November!!!! This winter has been really mild

atb

kjf

That sounds like the same field I shot a muntjac buck in a year ago, and that was a ~180m shot from a highseat. Eighteen muntjac in one go sounds like what they call a target-rich environment though!

Pine marten,
Not the same field, you have not been to this place. But will be this weekend. Will call you regarding times, etc.

Malc

When are you going to find the time to upgrade the knees Malcolm? At the pace you have outlined you may be guiding off an electric wheelchair!

Not too bad, been so busy stalking with clients both english and overseas. Since Scotland I have done 85 days in the field, and am booked out. Scotland is already bòoked out for 2015, and I also have bookings for 2016.

I have now a good team around me, with Mark, Tom Andy and Darren. Unlike some we manage and have major leases for all the U.K deer species, that keeps us busy. Another 2 happy clients this weekend again in West Sussex.

Regards to Scott.

BW
Malc

Back