Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a Deer Stalker or a killer?

Are you a Deer Stalker or a killer?

I see a lot a traffic here about high value guns with higher value scopes being shot off of some form of artifical rest, bipod etc. I propose that those using such are not stalkers but rather shooters. A friend of mine who is a professional forester there in the Uk described hiself as a deer killer, not a stalker. I think these folks with their "sniper" set-ups are also "Deer killers", not stalkers. We are no longer subsistance hunters and in my mind are not true sportsmen unless we are shooting off our elbows or at most using a leather sling. Any moron with hi-tech equipment can shoot deer fron long ranges but they are certainly not stalkers.

SS

What's wrong in having hi-tech equipment? If this is what floats your boat, why not? There are more hi-tech morons in US than anywhere on Earth...

A bit of a harsh comment. I wouldn't say the use of a bipod or rest means you aren't a hunter. I would say that using whatever you can to ensure the animal is killed humanely is the decent thing to do. I can shoot of my elbows but would always use a bipod if possible.

Getting bored of your .243 thread and looking to stir the st elsewhere?

Can you ever be to accurate when killing an animal? When i shoot i use whatever gives me the most stable shot, that can be a bipod, quad sticks, fence post or anything else i can use as a rest. I shoot a lot of deer, some on here will say because of my job i'm a killer but i am a stalker. I stalk the deer i shoot

What a lot of *****.

I run after deer , wrestle them to the ground and then strangle them. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Can you ever be to accurate when killing an animal? When i shoot i use whatever gives me the most stable shot, that can be a bipod, quad sticks, fence post or anything else i can use as a rest. I shoot a lot of deer, some on here will say because of my job i'm a killer but i am a stalker. I stalk the deer i shoot
    Well said sir
    sums it up nicely
    Regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Getting bored of your .243 thread and looking to stir the st elsewhere?
    This!

What's next? Where do you draw the line?

"I only use cheap factory ammo because the premium stuff or home-loaded is too accurate and unsporting."

or

"I only use a milk-bottle attached to the rifle with an elastic band because modern optics ensure too much accuracy in low light."

This is a poor thread. As sportsmen, we owe it to our quarry to achieve the most humane kill. Any equipment which aids in that goal is surely a good thing. Go back to trolling in the .243 section.

Whilst I kill deer, and not for sport, I would rather be referred to as a deer manager as I kill deer for the sake of the environment and the welfare of the deer themselves. Sure, I could make it much harder for myself by shooting off my elbows or off hand, but I would be far less efficient at what I do and would be at greater risk of injuring the deer rather than killing it humanely! You clearly have your own views of why we shoot deer, but we are not all freezer fillers or trophy hunters. Where do you fit in? Probably the latter group?
    MS