Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac and Feed hoppers

Muntjac and Feed hoppers

Has anyone got any tips on doing this to draw the deer out of cover? Is maize a suitable medium?Any other tips gratefully received. Cheers,Tony

Round here they are not fussy, they regularly knock over feeders with wheat in

I would agree that Muntjac are keen on the pheasant feeders filled with wheat.

A few years ago one of my friends asked me to help with thinning out a few Muntjac. The ground had a pheasant shoot with some rides strewn with straw, which the keeper fed at a regular time from a quad bike.

I was in a high seat overlooking one of the rides whilst other friends were in similar positions. My pal came along on the quad and fed the ride as the keeper did.

As the sound of the quad faded into the distance three Muntjac appeared within five minutes and were duly shot. All over and done in less than half an hour.
    I suppose they would get wise to it if tried more than once or twice in a season.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    I would agree that Muntjac are keen on the pheasant feeders filled with wheat.

A few years ago one of my friends asked me to help with thinning out a few Muntjac. The ground had a pheasant shoot with some rides strewn with straw, which the keeper fed at a regular time from a quad bike.

I was in a high seat overlooking one of the rides whilst other friends were in similar positions. My pal came along on the quad and fed the ride as the keeper did.

As the sound of the quad faded into the distance three Muntjac appeared within five minutes and were duly shot. All over and done in less than half an hour.
    I suppose they would get wise to it if tried more than once or twice in a season.
    Hi Norm yep that was my plan...the only difference is the Muntjac are inside a coppicing area and part of that is thick cover..but that would work! Cheers,Tony

Hi
    It may also be worth considering reduced fruit and veg from the local supermarket - carrots, apples, sweetcorn.........a variety should keep them more? interested.
    Perhaps put these in a different location to the wheat so you can get onto other deer or pick up those going between the two sites.
    L

A friend buys horse carrots and has had red fallow and munties feeding on them.

Quote Originally Posted by dan71 View Post
    A friend buys horse carrots and has had red fallow and munties feeding on them.
    Horse carrots? Guessing bags of carrots not suitable for the supermarkets etc?

They are just cheap from pet stores. Not a type. About 2 for a big bag. He was also using sugarbeet