Muntjac and Feed hoppers

cervus

Has anyone got any tips on doing this to draw the deer out of cover? Is maize a suitable medium?Any other tips gratefully received. Cheers,Tony

I would agree that Muntjac are keen on the pheasant feeders filled with wheat.

A few years ago one of my friends asked me to help with thinning out a few Muntjac. The ground had a pheasant shoot with some rides strewn with straw, which the keeper fed at a regular time from a quad bike.

I was in a high seat overlooking one of the rides whilst other friends were in similar positions. My pal came along on the quad and fed the ride as the keeper did.

As the sound of the quad faded into the distance three Muntjac appeared within five minutes and were duly shot. All over and done in less than half an hour.
I suppose they would get wise to it if tried more than once or twice in a season.

I would agree that Muntjac are keen on the pheasant feeders filled with wheat.

A few years ago one of my friends asked me to help with thinning out a few Muntjac. The ground had a pheasant shoot with some rides strewn with straw, which the keeper fed at a regular time from a quad bike.

I was in a high seat overlooking one of the rides whilst other friends were in similar positions. My pal came along on the quad and fed the ride as the keeper did.

As the sound of the quad faded into the distance three Muntjac appeared within five minutes and were duly shot. All over and done in less than half an hour.
I suppose they would get wise to it if tried more than once or twice in a season.
Hi Norm yep that was my plan...the only difference is the Muntjac are inside a coppicing area and part of that is thick cover..but that would work! Cheers,Tony

Hi
It may also be worth considering reduced fruit and veg from the local supermarket - carrots, apples, sweetcorn.........a variety should keep them more? interested.
Perhaps put these in a different location to the wheat so you can get onto other deer or pick up those going between the two sites.
L

They are just cheap from pet stores. Not a type. About £2 for a big bag. He was also using sugarbeet

... believe it or not, so are peanuts!

All deer love peanuts & will take silly risks to get them (still not as effective as alcohol in many situations). I use peanuts as "treats" when trying to reinforce positive behaviour in deer. I have even shot peanuts out of Co2 dart guns at deer over several days so that when the "catch up" occurs the deer are less stressed & easier to dart.

In Southern QLD there are a lot of peanut growers & peanut husks & downgraded nuts are cheap & readily available. A lot of deer farmers supplement their stock with this. These animals carry more fat than anything I have ever seen, particularly in the rusa, they also seem to express something similar to lanolin in sheep when on peanuts (if you touch them you will have grease/oil on your hands. These deer also confound established doses when tranquillising ( heads up).

Sorry if off topic, but it may be valuable trivia to some who manage deer.

Sharkey

All deer love peanuts & will take silly risks to get them (still not as effective as alcohol in many situations). I use peanuts as "treats" when trying to reinforce positive behaviour in deer. I have even shot peanuts out of Co2 dart guns at deer over several days so that when the "catch up" occurs the deer are less stressed & easier to dart.

In Southern QLD there are a lot of peanut growers & peanut husks & downgraded nuts are cheap & readily available. A lot of deer farmers supplement their stock with this. These animals carry more fat than anything I have ever seen, particularly in the rusa, they also seem to express something similar to lanolin in sheep when on peanuts (if you touch them you will have grease/oil on your hands. These deer also confound established doses when tranquillising ( heads up).

Sorry if off topic, but it may be valuable trivia to some who manage deer.

Sharkey
No Sharkey it is all great info exchange and much appreciated mate!

Why not use some field craft and stalking skills and go and find them ?

That an interesting comment.
I would be glad to learn what field craft and stalking skills you can recommend to locate and shoot Muntjac in thick cover. I have not found this feasible despite many years of Muntjac control in woodlands.
Persuading them to leave thick cover into thinner cover by calling has been my only successful method.

High seat and look down on them from a great height.
I had a pheasant wheat feeder in the garden at my last house. Watching early one morning I saw a munty and kid wander up to it. Mum bent down and shook the spring for the nipper to feed. This went on for about ten minutes during which time 8 pheasants and two rats also arrived and were happily all feeding together around the feet of the two munty's letting the mum do all the work.

I would look at putting up a high seat and like you say try calling them into thinner cover for a shot if the covers THAT THICK . I think patience is the way forward and skilful stalking will account for these munties. (Approved Witness DMQ) ... what difference does that make ?

Back