Lee Perfect Powder Measure

sikadog

Have just cheched my Lee perfect powder measure with my new digital scales, the variation over 50 rounds loading 25 grains of Varget into my 222 is 0.2grains and it takes a tenth of the time that it takes to weight every load and I dont think I can shoot that accurately.
Sikadog

Have just cheched my Lee perfect powder measure with my new digital scales, the variation over 50 rounds loading 25 grains of Varget into my 222 is 0.2grains and it takes a tenth of the time that it takes to weight every load and I dont think I can shoot that accurately.
Sikadog

Sikadog, I use mine to throw just under the 46gn that I need into my scale pan, place it back on the scales, then use a powder trickler for the very fine flake or two that it takes to bring it up to 46gn exactly. As you say, I do not suppose that I shoot accurately enough for this to matter, but I do like to try and get it right!

ft

I also throw a charge and trickle the last decimals in. It's likely the rifle, optics and ammo are far more capable than I am but it's one more variable, isn't it.

Sikadog

ive been stalking with a client this eve that uses the RCBS equivilant powder thrower and he was telling me thats is accurate to within 0.1 of a grain !

me personaly , only load bullets for stalking / foxing etc so i weigh every round to the last 0.1 of a gn because ive got the time to , i can understand that those who target shoot and have several rifles might not have quite as much time and any time cutting equipment will be a godsend .

cheers lee

Ok Lee. That was an interesting comment! If target shooters don't waste time weighing to the tenth of a grain, why would someone do it for a stalking rifle?? Unless there is a need to weigh charges -and I load a couple that require it for safety purposes- why would one bother?? Bench Rest shooters toss a load right from the measure to the case and their rifles are the most accurate in the world. (Or at least one of them has it!)

To say that you like to weigh charges because you have the time is like saying you like to pick the gravel out of your auto's tire tread because you have the time. Target shooters don't weigh charges because they won't waste the time doing it. They spend their time shooting! A generality, yes, but it is seldom necessary to weigh charges; especially with a stalking round from a stalking rifle. JMHO, of course. There is no harm in the practice.

As to the Lee Measure: I don't like them. Mine leaked fine grades of powder out of the side of the drum. With larger powders, it worked fine but I have other measures so the Lee was given away. ~Muir

Don't listen to Muir....
He got me into the Lee Classic Loader
He's a dealer, not a user :)

You'll be an addict before you know it...

Stan

Don't listen to Muir....
He got me into the Lee Classic Loader
He's a dealer, not a user :)

You'll be an addict before you know it...

Stan

My first sizer die was carved from a block of maple wood and the case driven in. The bullet was seated with a wood-workers vise. :eek: Oh yeah. I'm a real technocrat! ;)~Muir

My first sizer die was carved from a block of maple wood and the case driven in. The bullet was seated with a wood-workers vise. :eek: Oh yeah. I'm a real technocrat! ;)~Muir

Don't be fooled by the technocrat BS. I have spent many hours in his basement, can I say that??, and I can tell you it is a cross between a gun shop and a museum. There are thousand's upon thousand's of primers, cases, dies, many makes and types of powder measures and weighing paraphernalia, everything you need to to weigh out charges to the exact amount each and every time. I looked at this lot admired it all greatly wondered how to use a good lot of it, then reached for the dipper's loaded up a few rounds and we went shooting. We didn't miss much either:D

Never could bring myself to spend more time loading than was necessary, and to me and my way of thinking and type of shooting more the 1 MOA is not needed or necessary, but that is just me.

John

Ah, John! Telling tales out of school are we??:p~Muir

(PS: Come over and pick up your guns will you?? I'm going to start charging you rent.)

Back