Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military 7.62 brass

Military 7.62 brass

I've got a fair bit of 7.62 brass here and not sure what to do with it I can reload it with the funny primer, anyone got a use for it?

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    I've got a fair bit of 7.62 brass here and not sure what to do with it I can reload it with the funny primer, anyone got a use for it?
    I watch with interest,might be interested in some if you sell any.

Bryan.

Opinions seem to vary on this. RG use an elliptical crimp, and other milsurp comes with a stake crimp. It's hard brass - like iron. A few out of a batch can be primed, but most need the primers crushed in or are just plain uncooperative.

I've reamed out a lot with a rotary trimmer assembly, and there's quite a bit of swarf buildup at the end of the job. I wouldn't say these were reloadable generally.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Opinions seem to vary on this. RG use an elliptical crimp, and other milsurp comes with a stake crimp. It's hard brass - like iron. A few out of a batch can be primed, but most need the primers crushed in or are just plain uncooperative.

I've reamed out a lot with a rotary trimmer assembly, and there's quite a bit of swarf buildup at the end of the job. I wouldn't say these were reloadable generally.

That sounds a lot of hard work really.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    I watch with interest,might be interested in some if you sell any.

Bryan.
    do you fancy it?

Do you mean Berdan primed or simply crimped in boxer primers. If it is berdan primed it's not worth the effort but if it is simply a crimped or staked boxer primer then the crimp is easily removed and the cases can well be worth the effort of reloading.
    In recent years all british military ammo has been boxer primed and it will only usually be the old RG stuff that was berdan primed.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

When I look inside I can make out the base of the case with 2 small flash holes.

When I look inside I can make out the base of the case with 2 small flash holes.
    So berdan primed, not worth trying to reload that is if you can source berdan primers in the first place. I haven't seen any gun shops selling berdan primers in the last 30 or so years but I suppose they would be available somewhere if you looked hard enough.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Do you mean Berdan primed or simply crimped in boxer primers. If it is berdan primed it's not worth the effort but if it is simply a crimped or staked boxer primer then the crimp is easily removed and the cases can well be worth the effort of reloading.
    In recent years all british military ammo has been boxer primed and it will only usually be the old RG stuff that was berdan primed.
    Spot on - 2 flash holes = Berdan primed...not worth the effort is my view. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    Spot on - 2 flash holes = Berdan primed...not worth the effort is my view. ATB
    Best sold as scrap brass to a metals handler. Might end up as a nice table lamp.

SS