Sausage

Woodsmoke

I've tried a few recipes for fresh venison sausage in the past, but all of them seemed to produce an over-dry texture that I really didn't like. I usually tend to make Summer Sausage or Smoked Sausage as they tend to keep a better texture in my experience. I adapted a Len Poli recipe this morning though, and the results are outstanding, I'm happy to report :thumb:

2.5kg venison (I used a shoulder from yesterdays hind)
1kg pork back fat
1 cup red wine
4 Tbsp salt
1 large onion (minced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
4 Tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary
1 Tsp mace
1 cup skimmed milk powder

Grind, mix well with 1 cup of ice water, then stuff into hog casings. This gives you a decent 30+mm diameter sausage that holds its moisture in

I guess you could add juniper berries. However, I don't like them so I don't bother

Attachments

• 20150214_141825[1].jpg
    20150214_141825[1].jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 54

Nope. That's what the milk powder is for. Can't remember the exact science, but it reacts with the proteins to help bind the fats to the meat & prevent moisture loss. Means you can keep the meat content up & get a top-quality sausage without having to add bulk or phosphates, and keep it moist :thumb:

Last edited:
Cheers woodsmoke will have to try that with next batch

What brand of milk powder are you using? / recommend

Look forward to hearing how you get on, Nigel. The milk powder works wonders, as long as you add enough fat to begin with :thumb: Rusk does work, but it tends to act as a sponge, with the milk powder the fat is more evenly-distributed throughout the sausage

Back