Recommendations on night vision

HS Tracker

I am looking for NV mainly for .22 rim fire and possibly on .222 cf , I'm looking to spend up to £400 ish, am I better to go photon xt or one of these add on systems that are now widely sold ? I have looked at 2 diy type units but just a mass of hanging wires, battery pack strapped up and spots of super glue holding it all together. I have T20 ir etc already if needed.is the quality much difference between these type of units ?

Will you want to use the .22's during the day too? If so then an add on is the worth serious consideration....unless you can justify a dedicated "night time" rifle. Nitesite range worth a look

photon xt is £399 and is neat and compact not like all your homemade nv stuff
that gets tangled round your neck and feet,
can use it in daytime dusk and night

dont get a yukon photon coz my mate did and then he sold it straight away when he had a go with my pulsar digisight!

If I was doing lots of fox control and going out regular i would look at spending more, this is just for odd fox in my chicken pen and few rabbits in paddock

Photon will do what you wish at a budget price but they are not good as a spotter. It may be worth considering a spotter first then an NV scope second... Or an add on that will do both such as an Archer. Sadly the Archer is over budget too

dont get a yukon photon coz my mate did and then he sold it straight away when he had a go with my pulsar digisight!

Was that the old one ?
The new XT is just as good as a N550 ad not much in it to a N750 ...
also, much better ( at night ) than an ATN x sight..
i have had them all, & done side by side comparison !

What's the opinion on the nite site wolf ? I'm very tempted for fox with the .223 and rabbits with the rimmies , the speil looks great but would like an unbiased view? I don't have a four figure budget so these seem ideal however is the actual act of shooting while looking through the screen very unatural and uncomfortable
Rgds
Craig

What's the opinion on the nite site wolf ? I'm very tempted for fox with the .223 and rabbits with the rimmies , the speil looks great but would like an unbiased view? I don't have a four figure budget so these seem ideal however is the actual act of shooting while looking through the screen very unatural and uncomfortable
Rgds
Craig

I rate them, and the "heads up" shooting does not feel at all un-natural or uncomfortable. In fact quite the opposite....if you are shooting from a vehicle window for example then not having to get your eye to the scope makes it an easier shooting position in my view.
Not tried the wolf but has the original ns200 and have used the eagle model. Cant remember what the claimed range of the wolf is but you can always add an extra ir if you found it wasnt enough for your needs.

I found a dealer online in belgium that was offering the photon xt for about £325 i think... not sure off the top of my head but it was alot better than £400...i will check and get back..

I am looking for NV mainly for .22 rim fire and possibly on .222 cf , I'm looking to spend up to £400 ish, am I better to go photon xt or one of these add on systems that are now widely sold ? I have looked at 2 diy type units but just a mass of hanging wires, battery pack strapped up and spots of super glue holding it all together. I have T20 ir etc already if needed.is the quality much difference between these type of units ?

Morning Deklan,

I don't know if you've found the NV UK forum...certainly be worth joining and just asking the question there, plenty of sensible threads, honest advice from people that have been there, done that, learned the expensive lesson (Yeah, me included) And not a lot of BS or outlandish claims flying about.

www.nightvisionforumuk.com - Index page

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

as fizz says the nv forum is the place to find out just about everything NV,add -ons, ward d vision £700,nitetek nt300 £540 but you will need a dsa about £30,they are the smallest,so dont interfere with eye relief too much,then theres pulsar after that which are longer

My son bought a NiteSite NS200 a couple of years ago & uses it on his 17HMR to good effect on rabbits & fox and also on an air rifle (non FAC) for rats & feral pigeons in and around farm buildings.

On his experience I picked up a Wolf at the Shooting Show on Friday to swap between air rifle, 22LR and 223. Haven't had chance to try it yet.

NiteSite state recognition range for the Wolf at 300yds, that's plenty enough for me. The Eagle is 500yds, and a lot more money, but that is further than I'd feel comfortable shooting on our permissions at night. I already have a NightMaster IR800 if I ever need more illumination.

Yes it is a bit more than the OP price range, and the Photon, but is good value when you can just use it on two or three rifles without needing to swap & re-zero.

David

Back