Savage rifles

I have not missed your point at all. If a rifle was shipped to England, via Ireland, as in WWI, it is still a shipment England. If it was sent to England, and then to South Africa or Rhodesia ( as about 50,000 Savage No.4 MkIs were), it is still a shipment to England.

Many rifles came back to Canada after 1945. About 50,000 went to stores in Ireland. In the 1950s and 1960s, Interarms imported about 40,000 from South Africa and many from England, many of them Savage made and stamped, U.S. Property". In the early 1990s, those rifles were imported to the US from Ireland, including unissued, still-in-the-wrap No.4 MkIIs.

I did not mean to hijack this thread when I replied to your curiosity about the life of Arthur Savage.

A friend just called to rave about how well his Savage Edge shoots, to get back on topic. He killed a boar with it ( 7mm-08 ).

Last edited:
The guy to speak to for advice on Savage rifles is Stuart Anselm ( Osprey Rifles ). He shoots them at championship level and is a nice guy

I have not missed your point at all. If a rifle was shipped to England, via Ireland, as in WWI, it is still a shipment England. If it was sent to England, and then to South Africa or Rhodesia ( as about 50,000 Savage No.4 MkIs were), it is still a shipment to England.

Many rifles came back to Canada after 1945. About 50,000 went to stores in Ireland. In the 1950s and 1960s, Interarms imported about 40,000 from South Africa and many from England, many of them Savage made and stamped, U.S. Property". In the early 1990s, those rifles were imported to the US from Ireland, including unissued, still-in-the-wrap No.4 MkIIs.

I did not mean to hijack this thread when I replied to your curiosity about the life of Arthur Savage.

A friend just called to rave about how well his Savage Edge shoots, to get back on topic. He killed a boar with it ( 7mm-08 ).

You've still missed the point it's Great Britain or the United Kingdom not England you daft Canute. :banghead::banghead:
Why do you persist in saying England? England is only one part of the U.K.
:evil:

I have a pair of Savage F12's. One in 6mmbr (built myself) and one in 6.5x284. Both very accurate. Rifle Basix do a good aftermarket trigger and the bolt lift can easily be fixed. These aren't stalking rifles but I wouldn't hesitate to get a lighter one.

5 shots at 110yds

5 shots at 220yds

You've still missed the point it's Great Britain or the United Kingdom not England you daft Canute. :banghead::banghead:
Why do you persist in saying England? England is only one part of the U.K.
:evil:

What? You mean Wales isn't part of England? (sarcasm):rofl:

As someone who has been involved in ocean shipping and air freight to almost every country in the world, I am speaking of who ordered the goods and where they were delivered by the shipping line. Southhampton is in England. When the King of England orders the weapons, the manufacturer considers the sale to be to England. Canada did not order the Enfields, or Ireland, nor Scotland, nor Rhodesia, South Africa, India, Pakistand, Australia, nor New Zealand, nor the "U.K."

While the rifles were certainly sold or lent to Great Britain, the first ones were paid for by the Bank of England. Later ones, shipped the England and marked, "US Property" with the flaming bomb logo of the US Army arsenals, were paid for by the USA, so they could legally be "lent" to Great Britain. That is why there was no problem with them coming back into the USA to be sold to civilians, like myself. Many of the other Enfields from Fazakerly, Maltby, and BSA, were marked "England".

The final payment of $83.3 million (£42.5 million) due on 31 December 2006 (repayment charged at 2% interest) was made on 29 December 2006, with a thank you note from Britain's Economic Secretary, Ed Balls.

I am not a "Canute". Some of my ancestors from England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland came to the American colonies in 1621, 1643, and the 1740s.

Got your back up have I, then good perhaps now you will realise just how offensive you have been. :evil:
How would you like it if we refered to all U.S. citizens as Californians? :stir: :lol::cool: :lol:

The monarch hasn't been able to raise an army or place any orders for weapons (other than sporting guns) since 1651 when we took that right away from him in the civil war. Yes I know it is often refered to as the ENGLISH civil war as nearly all of the engagements took place in England. Weapons would have been ordered by H.M. Government, the monarchy has been a purely a figurehead of state since that time. Also he wasn't the king of England, he was the king of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the rest of the commonwealth which at that time was still probably refered to as the empire.

As for the Atlantic convoys delivering arms and munitions to Southampton. I would have thought that they would have off loaded in the less vulnerable ports of Belfast,Liverpool, Glasgow or even the Bristol Channel ports of Barry, Cardiff, Newport and Bristol. As you can see most of those ports are not actually in England. Also you keep mentioning Ireland don't forget that Ireland (Eire) gained indipendence between the wars and was neutral in WW2 so I presume that you are talking about Northern Ireland.

British service rifles would certainly not have been marked "England" by the British as to do so would have caused offence to some serving who hailed from other parts of the U.K. and commonwealth. Can you imagine a Scottish regiment being issued with rifles saying England, why there would be a mutiny. They would bear military proof marks or possibly the tower mark or as the custom with other British military equipment the war office. broad arrow. So I presume that they were marked as such when imported into the U.S. perhaps.

:tiphat:

Last edited:
Simple question Paul, what's your nationality?

P.S. No chill pills required here Paul all comments are made with a smile on my face and an evil glint in the eye. Though I do have to admit that I do get slightly pieved by people saying England when they actually mean Britain. That's said by someone living where there has been a continually shifting border over the centuries and who therefore considers himself merely British and neither English nor Welsh.

Last edited:
Got your back up have I, then good perhaps now you will realise just how offensive you have been. :evil:
:tiphat:

I've checked and...nope, I can't see anything that Southern has said that is offensive, and name calling should be just reserved for politicians.

Back in "the day" that you are both talking about, the 30's / 40's when this country was called Great Britain it was also commonly referred to as England.
It's a timepiece of language and nothing to get worked up about in this day.

Just a reminder of the op...

Hi folks
i'm currently looking for a .260 rem in left hand, savage do rifle 24 in barrel, but I know nothing about them, hoping some one can give me some advice from experience.

thanks in advance.

I'm scottish , proud to be British also
My wife is English ,
I work worldwide with a huge variety of nationalities
And I've met a55holes in all of them , but equally folk I call my friend.

I'd just like to see this forum go back a wee bit to what it was , without pedantic bull**** about absolute perfection
Who cares bout bullet "heads"
Which country ordered what exactly
Oh he has a blaser ... That's wrong !!!

Let's get back to having a bit of Craic , gaining knowledge & info
Slagging of land rovers
& mind summit may be said with a glint in the eye & meant in jest .... But it's the written word & often taken wrong way !

Back