Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magtech semi auto .22

Magtech semi auto .22

Anyone got any views on them? I need a .22 semi auto, but the 10/22 tales have me wary of them
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Had a Magtech from memory it was okay.
    Now I have a 10/22 so much more you can do with them and if you get it wrong order parts.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

What model was it Teyhan?

It's the reliability issues with the Ruger that have me cautious. I understand the X22 is basically a direct copy, so that's put me off a bit.

I'm only after a cheap & cheerful truck gun so I'm looking at the 7022
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Main problem with ANY .22 semi auto is cleaning it throughly.
    They work fine when they're new, the problem is all that crud they get in them from bullet lube and powder residue.
    If you want total reliability then get a bolt action.
    Here's my 10/22 after modding
    Attachment 52849
    Last edited by teyhan1; 14-02-2015 at 22:31.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    If you want total reliability then get a bolt action
    That's a nice looking rifle

I have a 452 that I love, but I need a semi for multiple shots in quick succession out of the truck as one of my permissions has a real rabbit problem that I can't sort by ferreting. I don't mind one bit if it needs stripping and cleaning more often than a bolt action, but I need to know it's reliable enough so I can get an evening's lamping done without constant stoppages after the first dozen or so shots

My 10/22 was a bit unreliable but Muir put me right.

Never use subs he said.

And he was right.
    Now I only use standard velocity CCI and suffer no misfires or hung extractions

What about the CZ semis?

Have you thought about a Marlin 795?

If you want a short compact semi for truck work have a look at the Browning Buckmark, the one I played with was very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Anyone got any views on them? I need a .22 semi auto,

Ive got a Magtech 7022 its ok for the money, its the same mechanics as the Mossberg 702. buy new and not some hanging thing that's never been cleaned or looked after or it will never cycle as it should, or my other one is a Anschutz 525 which I would highly recommend as a tack driver, and you can buy some nice second-hand examples for not a lot of money.