Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driven boar scope

Driven boar scope

I'm having a sort out of some gear, looking into another scope too. I was just wondering if a 2.5-10 x 56 scope or 2-12 x 50 would be ok for driven hunting, and how others fair with these allrounders, or should I do the "proper" thing and look into a 1-4 or 1-6 power. I'm trying to get away with one scope for everything. I tend to do one boar trip a year, so you could argue its not a regular thing, but equally want to make sure I'm all set up right for the occasion. Thanks!

I used my swaro 2.5x15 x 56 wound down for my last trip and it was fine, I also have a 1.5x4.5 x 20 that I used and there isn't a great deal of difference, what I really recommend is that whatever scope you use make sure it is illuminated - red dot is essential in my book.
    TonyC

hi i use a leupold 1.5 x 4 x20 pig plex scope. on s/s double rifle. very pleased,

Hi Dan,
    I have a Swaro 1.2 - 6 x 24 illuminated and find that set on 6 is as good as it gets for normal stalking at the usual ranges that UK Deer are shot over.
    Set on 1.2 is ideal but anything up to 3 gives as much field of view to make it good enough for Driven Boar.
    I have known several guys use their usual 2-12 x 56 scope kranked down to 2 and managed quite well with that, the only thing is, in my view, being such a large 'scope could prove a bit cumbersome for swinging onto the target, but then maybe I am a cissy ;-)
    As Tony has already said the illuminated dot is 'almost' essential but I have known the odd one or two manage without it.
    Geof glad to hear you are pleased with the Leupold ;-)
    Last edited by EMcC; 15-02-2015 at 09:40.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    hi i use a leupold 1.5 x 4 x20 pig plex scope. on s/s double rifle. very pleased,

I also have a Leupold, the 1.25-4x20 VX-R with the Firedot reticule.

It's proven absolutely fine, so long as I do my bit.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

A question to those with experience in these things: In practice, in the field, how do these scopes compare with red dot sights?

Thanks for the replies. Ive had the leupold firedot before, and the 1.5-6 x42 schmidt (non illuminated). I just wanted to see if an allrounder type would do just that, I think best thing is to go out and have a look down a couple of 2-12s.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    A question to those with experience in these things: In practice, in the field, how do these scopes compare with red dot sights?
    I tried Aimpoints and both Zeiss Red Dot Sights, the Compact and the Z Point. They are not a patch on my Swaro Z6i 1-6x24. For me field of view is everything. An illuminated reticle comes second.

I'd also have a look at the Swarovski 1.7-10x42. The non-illuminated should be fine for this & is about perfect for woodland stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    I'd also have a look at the Swarovski 1.7-10x42. The non-illuminated should be fine for this & is about perfect for woodland stalking.
    Hi, yes, the new swarovskis 1.7-10 and 2-12 had caught my eye initially. I wouldn't of thought there was much difference between 1.7 and 2?