Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effects of new drink drive limit

Effects of new drink drive limit

A village pub where as a guest at a small shoot I have enjoyed the post shoot bite to eat and craic closed its doors last week. Is this the result of the lower drink drive limit introduced in December? Do any forum members know of any rural pubs who have given up the struggle lately?

Blackpowder

Highly unlikely to be the result of any recent change in legislation more like just another casualty to the general trend of pub closures for various reasons e.g. unsustainable rents or trend changes in drinking habits.

There are probably more closed pubs within 10 miles of where I live than there are pubs that are still operating.

The break up of the brewery monopolies and selling off of the pubs to the likes of Admiral and Punch Taverns had a huge long term negative impact on the licenced trade in this country.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Certainly had a dramatic effect up here, WILL cause closures.

Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    Certainly had a dramatic effect up here, WILL cause closures.
    Have a word with the publicans see if they can organise transport among them, its in their interest
    i had a pub years ago and if any of my customers came with their car and wanted a drink i would drive them home, made a big difference to trade
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Have a word with the publicans see if they can organise transport among them, its in their interest
    i had a pub years ago and if any of my customers came with their car and wanted a drink i would drive them home, made a big difference to trade
    Cheers
    Ray
    To late I think Ray, the two girls who were running it took over from a relative. Although its only a few miles from Berwick on Tweed, people who would have a meal and a glass of wine or beer with their meal seem no longer willing to take a chance on loosing their license. Of course for shooters it is a double whammy as shotgun and rifle certs and licenses could also be at risk.

Blackpowder

It will be the final nail in coffin for a lot of rural pubs, not good. Even ur few pints watching the fitba on a school nite could have u in trouble the next morning

I got a breathaliser for christmas, now i'm not convinced how accurate it is so would never trust it or even have 1 drink if i was driving that night, nveer have. I'm actually amazed for me how much i can allegedly drink and still be under the limit. (I will add this is just out of couriosity and i had no intention of driving) 1 nite had 2 cans of cider with tea and only registered 0.3, the lowest it registers (after the 20 min wait)
    Another time, morning after the shoot meal a couple of lads crashed at mine, we had a fair scoop after the meal in rounds till kicking out time so really should all have drank similarish ammounts, next morning i blew 0.3 again another lad 0.6 and another was 1.6. None of us was driving but just shows how everyones metabolism will be different, both the other 2 were of a similar size and age

And to think it was just a Kenny McCaskill "look at me" exercise.

If it was about saving lives they would have raised the driving age to 21.

Don`t agree with this new limit at all.

Yip, 7 pubs a week closing in Scotland and blamed on the smoking ban and now publicans are saying licenced premises are emptying much earlier due to morning after fears.
    It's also due to the ease of fireside drinking, cheaper and no junkies to deal with? Too much football booming out in my local even though the clientel aren't watching it. You can buy four cans now for the price of a pint so pubs have got to be toiling with rates and Councils never off their case with licencing stipulations and constant visits usually for "training" purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    And to think it was just a Kenny McCaskill "look at me" exercise.

If it was about saving lives they would have raised the driving age to 21.

Don`t agree with this new limit at all.
    And was the same kenny makaskil not lifted at wembly 1 year for drunken behaviour? The mans an idiot.

The new drink drive limit will not save a life.

I do not believe in increasing limit to 21 either, could mean a lot of young people could not work, if they could not drive there (rural areas or strange shift patterns.)
    I think in NZ u can drive at 16 but under P plates but only aaloowed to drive at nite on ur own (so ok for to/from work) if ur passengers are under 21. Makes sense as that's when accidents happen when showing off to ur mates at nite

I think some people may be right when they say it will not save lives, idiots will still drink and drive, personally I don,t care if people get caught, it's a far greater crime than poaching, not that I support either