Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London plane

London plane

Morning all,anyone have any experience of burning London plane in a wood burner.Got the opportunity of a fair few tonnes.Looking online it seems a tough bugger to split and and has a rating of 3 out of 4 for burning,but the comment that comes with it is that (it burns pleasant)??
    Where as all the other 3out of 4 rated woods has excellent for burning!
    Is there something that they are not telling me about London plane?
    Thanks all
    Dave
    ps it's not for burning next season but the season after (24 months)

I've just done a carving in a piece of LP, and it carved fairly well. With that in mind, considering that my carving chisels went through it nice and easy, i can't see how it would be hard to split.

Its Very similar to Beech I found.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

I've heard it described as rich mans sycamore. Never used it myself, but if it's split & dried properly anything will burn
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Hi have used it for cabinet making once planed the grain is very much like beech, i have burnt the offcuts in the woodburner and it was fine, maybe not as hot as oak but if the price is right go for it,

I deal with a great deal of firewood every year and have not found a wood which when seasoned properly will not burn, if it's free or cheep take as much as you can as it's not cheep buying it from dealers.

Split when green, it's very good in a wood burner! Take it, all of it!!

I have found it to burn well when seasoned, and to saw easily when wet - I saw by hand.
    Splitting was made tricky by a very twisted grain in some bits, but not impossible.

i did the entire wheelhouse out on a 70 ft fishing boat with london plane ,lace wood for my son ,it cost s fortune ,i did burn some of the of cuts in our rayburn it burnt very hot ,but it was bone dry and small pieces ,i found it abrasive on the saw when i slabbed it down from the logs,and nearly impossible to steam bend

Quote Originally Posted by Home Loader View Post
    I deal with a great deal of firewood every year and have not found a wood which when seasoned properly will not burn, if it's free or cheep take as much as you can as it's not cheep buying it from dealers.
    I intend to take as much as I can if the price is right.
    Thanks gents for the replys,now to see what it's going to cost.
    all the best
    dave

quarter sawn london plane is beautiful (lacewood) used as facing by guitar makers for its beauty not sure of its burning qualities but love it on guitars. regards sbm