Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New .260 rem barrel lenght

New .260 rem barrel lenght

I have finally decided on the calibre for the re barrel, (thanks for your patience James) it's going to be .260 rem set up to shoot 120-140 gr bullets. But what length to have the barrel cut? I do not want a 20 inch barrel was thinking 24 or 26 this is not going to be a truck gun! Just wondering what you guy's and gals are running? And why?
    thanks

Depends on what you are going to use it for and if it is going to wear a moderator.

If it is to be a stalking rifle with a mod, I suggest very strongly that you reconsider something in the 20-21" category.

If if is to be a range toy, anything you like.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Home Loader View Post
    I have finally decided on the calibre for the re barrel, (thanks for your patience James) it's going to be .260 rem set up to shoot 120-140 gr bullets. But what length to have the barrel cut? I do not want a 20 inch barrel was thinking 24 or 26 this is not going to be a truck gun! Just wondering what you guy's and gals are running? And why?
    thanks
    23.5 - 24 inch as per rifle in my Gallery. I've had barrels as long as 26 inch (on a 243 varmint) in the past and 23-24 inches seems to work well for me. One question I would have for you is are you going to throat the chamber long? I have one rifle set for 140 gr AMax at OAL ~2.9 inches (see Gallery) and the other rifle which has a magazine is set just under 2.8 inches OAL.

Have fun.

JCS

It's going to be for stalking and alittle range work but also some varmints. I have rifle with a 20 inch barrel and want some thing longer so I can get the most out of the cartridge, I'm not worried about the extra lenght as a preference as you have to that much more muzzle aware!

Quote Originally Posted by Home Loader View Post
    It's going to be for stalking and alittle range work but also some varmints. I have rifle with a 20 inch barrel and want some thing longer so I can get the most out of the cartridge, I'm not worried about the extra lenght as a preference as you have to that much more muzzle aware!
    You'll find a 26" barrel is a little bit long for woodland stalking. I had a Winchester model 70 with a 26" varmint barrel (No 5 taper, which tapered quite nicely and wasn't too heavy). It was a bit long for sneaking round roe woods, and a bit long climbing up & down high seats. Not impossible, but a 24" barrel would have been better.

-JMS

All mine are 26".

Good for fox from the platform on top of the land rover, good on the hill, but a bit of a pain in the woods especially with a mod on top. Just thinking about taking my Woodland 6.5*47 Lapua down to 20". They say shorter is also more accurate on the lighter barrels, not that the Lapua needs to be any more accurate than it already is.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Does that mean a clear out is imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by archie12 View Post
    Does that mean a clear out is imminent?
    Yes sir I hope you've got plenty of room!

I hunt with a 26 inch varmint barrel with as ultra s5 can.manners t4a stock.sits on my shoulder nicely.way lighter than my 308 in aics stock 26 inch barrel
    Last edited by swarovski; 15-02-2015 at 19:51.

Plenty of room here mate, glad you changed from that boring .243