Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howa action vs. Old model Sako

Howa action vs. Old model Sako

I frequently read that the Howa action is very similar to an older model Sako action. Can somebody give more information about it? Pro's and con's. To use as a basis for a budget semi customised rifle. Similar to the B&N contractor.

I have a howa from brock and norris. I cant fault it. But if i had a load more money i would prob buy a sako. But it wont shoot any better than my howa.
    I put it against a tikka and they were the same accuracy.

I would go for a sako also as you know it's quality to start with I.e trigger and smoothness and it will help with the resale value

Have to say old Sako very time.

They make fine semi customs, the triggers are good, the magazine systems neat and elegant and they look great.

Ive rebarrelled plenty and all have been excellent shooters.

Howa's,,,,I've rebarreled plenty of these, they also work, but they are not in the same field as the Sako..

I know some swear by Howa, I have no liking for them

I have a Forester L579 action that seems quite similar in design to a Howa action. In comparison the L579 seems of much lighter construction which might suit a hunting rifle better. Workmanship on both actions seems similar, I think later Sako actions pre 75 were better than the late 1960's action I have. The first stainless Howa action I had was a disaster as the bolt and action are both of similar stainless steel which had terrible galling problems. My sons stainless Howa had not had a problem yet. Maybe the blued version would be the better choice.
    Trigger on the Sako was always brilliant, since we had the rifle in the seventies. The three position Howa triggers could be tuned very nicely too.
    One thing that really annoys me about the Sako is the very stiff bolt opening after firing, maybe the firing pin spring is a bit strong....don't think we ever had a misfire with her though. I don't think I'll build or have built another semi custom on either actions. Not too much aftermarket bits for either meaning a lot of custom work.
    edi

sako 100% as its not a Remington clone

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    I frequently read that the Howa action is very similar to an older model Sako action. Can somebody give more information about it? Pro's and con's. To use as a basis for a budget semi customised rifle. Similar to the B&N contractor.
    I've had both, and they are both good, but if you have the option, go for a Sako 75 action. Howa doesn't have a bolt lock which cost me a couple of deer where the bolt had slightly lifted and went click rather than bang!!!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I've had both, and they are both good, but if you have the option, go for a Sako 75 action. Howa doesn't have a bolt lock which cost me a couple of deer where the bolt had slightly lifted and went click rather than bang!!!
    MS
    Was that with the three position safety version?
    Pretty sure the one I have has a bolt lock when safety is set all the way back.
    I can't remember having had a "click" on one of our Howas. Had many "clicks" on a T3 though.
    edi

Both Sako and Tikka are almost never seen here. Certainly not a second hand to use the action. Many years ago a gunsmith used Sako actions for custom rifles. Later he started selling Heym rifles. Since those years I have never seen a Sako or Tikka in the field. Strange how 2 countries can be diffrent.
    People buy either cheap or rifles like Blaser , Sauer, Steyr. Steyr is considered much higher quelity than Sako. Lots of UK shooters might not agree.

Didn't Howa actually make actions for Sako at some point? Might not an old Sako very possibly, in fact, be a Howa?