Howa action vs. Old model Sako

Hales Smut

I frequently read that the Howa action is very similar to an older model Sako action. Can somebody give more information about it? Pro's and con's. To use as a basis for a budget semi customised rifle. Similar to the B&N contractor.

I have a howa from brock and norris. I cant fault it. But if i had a load more money i would prob buy a sako. But it wont shoot any better than my howa.
I put it against a tikka and they were the same accuracy.

I would go for a sako also as you know it's quality to start with I.e trigger and smoothness and it will help with the resale value

Have to say old Sako very time.

They make fine semi customs, the triggers are good, the magazine systems neat and elegant and they look great.

Ive rebarrelled plenty and all have been excellent shooters.

Howa's,,,,I've rebarreled plenty of these, they also work, but they are not in the same field as the Sako..

I know some swear by Howa, I have no liking for them

I have a Forester L579 action that seems quite similar in design to a Howa action. In comparison the L579 seems of much lighter construction which might suit a hunting rifle better. Workmanship on both actions seems similar, I think later Sako actions pre 75 were better than the late 1960's action I have. The first stainless Howa action I had was a disaster as the bolt and action are both of similar stainless steel which had terrible galling problems. My sons stainless Howa had not had a problem yet. Maybe the blued version would be the better choice.
Trigger on the Sako was always brilliant, since we had the rifle in the seventies. The three position Howa triggers could be tuned very nicely too.
One thing that really annoys me about the Sako is the very stiff bolt opening after firing, maybe the firing pin spring is a bit strong....don't think we ever had a misfire with her though. I don't think I'll build or have built another semi custom on either actions. Not too much aftermarket bits for either meaning a lot of custom work.
edi

I frequently read that the Howa action is very similar to an older model Sako action. Can somebody give more information about it? Pro's and con's. To use as a basis for a budget semi customised rifle. Similar to the B&N contractor.
I've had both, and they are both good, but if you have the option, go for a Sako 75 action. Howa doesn't have a bolt lock which cost me a couple of deer where the bolt had slightly lifted and went click rather than bang!!!:doh:
MS

I've had both, and they are both good, but if you have the option, go for a Sako 75 action. Howa doesn't have a bolt lock which cost me a couple of deer where the bolt had slightly lifted and went click rather than bang!!!:doh:
MS

Was that with the three position safety version?
Pretty sure the one I have has a bolt lock when safety is set all the way back.
I can't remember having had a "click" on one of our Howas. Had many "clicks" on a T3 though.
edi

Both Sako and Tikka are almost never seen here. Certainly not a second hand to use the action. Many years ago a gunsmith used Sako actions for custom rifles. Later he started selling Heym rifles. Since those years I have never seen a Sako or Tikka in the field. Strange how 2 countries can be diffrent.
People buy either cheap or rifles like Blaser , Sauer, Steyr. Steyr is considered much higher quelity than Sako. Lots of UK shooters might not agree.

Didn't Howa actually make actions for Sako at some point? Might not an old Sako very possibly, in fact, be a Howa?

What is exactly is an old Sako? I have a few Howas (+- 5 years old) and a Sako AIII from very early 80's. The action is very similar: milled receiver with flat bottom and a stout integral recoil lug. Forward action screw goes straight into the recoil lug.

As far as the bolt goes, the AIII doesn't have a plunger ejector, but the ejection is forced instead. Yes, the bolt lift is stiffer on the Sako. Maybe the firing ping spring is stiffer? Who knows.

In my opinion the trigger is better on the Sako. It can be adjusted lighter than the Howa and still be safe to operate. They both break nicely for a factory trigger.

I see this rumour going around on the internet, that the Howa action is a Remington copy. Not the 700? The 700 has two locking lugs in it's bolt but that's about where the similarities end. Howa manufactures actions for Weatherby and I do vaguely recall that Remington, too, has sold rebranded Howas at one point in time. Not sure about that.

I like both actions. Good, basic, solid actions, if a little heavy. The weight suits me just fine as I'm not a small frame person.

What's the source of that assumption?

Right now, I can't remember, I think it was in something I read about the 1500 action incorporating some features from the Sako, and relating it to the idea that Howa had picked these up whilst making actions for Sako. I don't have anything riding on it though. Perhaps I'm mixing it up with something else? Hence the reason I posed it as a question.

Everything I've read about the Howa makes it sound like a well made and pretty desirable rifle - except for the fact that they don't offer a left handed action which means I won't ever buy one.

Howa brought the machinery from Sako for making sporting bolt action rifles, they thought they also brought the manufacturing rights to the Sako Finnbear model as well and started to produce Howa copies of the Finnbear before Sako threatened legal action and they stopped, some of these rifles come up for sale in the USA. They then brought out the 1500M model, although they re-badged the action for other big companies including Smith and Weston and Weatherby. The receiver is very similar in design to the pre 75 Sako models with a flat bottom and integral recoil lug. However the 3 rings of safety is like the Remington 700, but that is all it has in common with that model, the one piece bolt is far better designed than the remmy.

The early Howa’s had a 2 stage safety so you could operate the bolt with safety on, while on the latter models the bolt is locked down with the safety in position 3.

If you want or are happy with a Blued action and don’t want a DM, then I would look at a Sako, if you want stainless steel and easy to access extras, mag’ conversions, rails for big scopes lots of different stocks ect then a Howa might be a better choice. The model 75 is a great model IMO, and the route I have/would go/gone.
ATB

Tahr

Howa brought the machinery from Sako for making sporting bolt action rifles, they thought they also brought the manufacturing rights to the Sako Finnbear model as well and started to produce Howa copies of the Finnbear before Sako threatened legal action and they stopped, some of these rifles come up for sale in the USA. They then brought out the 1500M model, although they re-badged the action for other big companies including Smith and Weston and Weatherby. The receiver is very similar in design to the pre 75 Sako models with a flat bottom and integral recoil lug. However the 3 rings of safety is like the Remington 700, but that is all it has in common with that model, the one piece bolt is far better designed than the remmy.

Thanks Thar - so I wasn't totally barking then, although I was wrong about Howa actually making some actions for Sako, you can see how I got there, and it makes sense of how the 1500 came to incorporate some Sako features.

Guy

Back