Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are bullbars (roo / nudge bar) illegal?

Are bullbars (roo / nudge bar) illegal?

I was just reading that the old style full bullbars (roo / nudge bars), which protect the front of your 4x4 against animals in the road were made illegal in 2007 by some EU directive.

Is there any truth to that?

I am interested because I want one for my 1995 defender in the UK. In the States I saved the front end of my truck a couple of times. If they are truly illegal, then the world's gone mad.

Z

Maybe you aren't aware of why the bull bars went out of favour in this country?
    they are proven to be more likely to cause lethal injuries to humans (esp) children in the event of a collision.

If they aren't already then it probably isn't far away.
    There would be some justification for doing so though.
    Think what they would do to a pedestrian. Likewise the "bumper" on Landy's.
    Don't go off on one Landy owners, you know it's true.

ps... I used to "reposition" the stupidly big communal bins in Edinburgh when they encroached on parking spaces with my Series III Landy....and loved every nudge
    Last edited by private fraser; 15-02-2015 at 18:21.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    It depends what they are and when they were made.

An EU Directive introduced in 2007 made rigid bull bars illegal and new ones had to be EU compliant and marked accordingly. The law was enacted in November 2009.

You can read the EU directive here: http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/pdf/EU-Leg-Bull-Bars.pdf

And the House of Commons Note here: http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN01216.pdf

Fitting bull bars that do not comply with the law brings the risk of a maximum 20,000 fine and 12 months imprisonment.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 15-02-2015 at 19:02.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks. I am just looking for something to protect the front from the occasional thick branch, or large fallow. It seems that there are some exceptions when having a winch.

Looks like this was originally caused by some urban guys looking for the cool look.

Z

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Thanks. I am just looking for something to protect the front from the occasional thick branch, or large fallow. It seems that there are some exceptions when having a winch.

Looks like this was originally caused by some urban guys looking for the cool look.

Z
    You can still buy bull bars, they just need to be compliant with the law, i.e. designed to crumple in an accident with a pedestrian.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Also check with your insurance company, a mate of mine was refused insurance when he applied for a quote before changing his truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny rem mag View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	52876I hope not!
    You're ok as it is part of the winch bumper.

If purely cosmetic or for "protection" then they need to be designed to crumple to be legal which then defeats the purpose of protecting the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

Z
    Like people living in London? Which rural part of London do you come from? LOL