Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of youngsters

Lack of youngsters

Hi, I control the deer on a little 30 acre wood.there are a small population of roe there which I monitor on trail cameras- I've left a master buck there for 4 years now along with three does- it's the second year now that one of the old does has no followers and neither of the other two have any either, can deer be infertile? as I shoot the foxes hard, all be it that the wood joins on to a 250 acre wood which isn't shot at all. It just seems strange to me there aren't more youngsters about.
    my second question is about the small population of muntjack there, I only ever seem to catch them on camera at there fraying stocks at night and never in the day am or pm, is there a reason for this?

something disturbing them during day,dogwalkers?poachers?maybe or nothing to interest them there in the day so feel safer in more cover ie bigger wood,
    DONT START

In relation to the Muntjac:- If they have sufficient food within good cover, then they may not venture out of cover in daylight.

For the past fifteen years, we have been controlling Muntjac in woodlands that were severely damaged.
    As the understory and particularly bramble has recovered, the Muntjac have become increasingly difficult to see.

They feed and remain in cover and avoid dog walkers etc. as well as stalkers. Now even most of my favourite calling spots have become overgrown too.

We are hoist by our own petard as the better the regrowth the more difficult it is to keep shooting the Muntjac.
    If the adjoining large wood has plenty of food and cover, it will be a struggle to get on terms with them.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Deer are no different from any other species. Yes, they become less fertile and then infertile. That's why deer managers have a cull plan taking out the old and weak as part of that cull. 4 years with the same master buck. It sounds like you're encouraging inbreeding and therefore a weak herd to me? Maybe 30 acres isn't enough to guarantee that but your cull plan/system appears limited to me.
    Baguio

I do think it out, and i adopt the same theory in the other woods I shoot.ie that i have found a master buck will cause far less damage than younger ones, I have decided to bump him off this year though! My conundrum lies with the fact that I've been shooting youngsters in April/May marauding in from next door, but have had no photos with the resident does having followers..?

Take out the resident does. Nothing else for it IMO. It sounds like they will soon be replaced and possibly for the better?
    Baguio

The common denominator here is the Buck who may be infertile. The does may well have been covered but to no avail.
    Probably worth taking him out and let another youngster in to take over.Inbreeding within deer herds does not create a problem with genetics - unlike Stowmarket!
    MS

I would defiantly take the buck out and probably the oldest doe
    Matb tom

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
    Hi, I control the deer on a little 30 acre wood.there are a small population of roe there which I monitor on trail cameras- I've left a master buck there for 4 years now along with three does- it's the second year now that one of the old does has no followers and neither of the other two have any either, can deer be infertile? as I shoot the foxes hard, all be it that the wood joins on to a 250 acre wood which isn't shot at all. It just seems strange to me there aren't more youngsters about.
    my second question is about the small population of muntjack there, I only ever seem to catch them on camera at there fraying stocks at night and never in the day am or pm, is there a reason for this?
    No answer for the Roe as there are none on my ground, Last year I was asked to thin ou the Muntjac and found the most productive time was after the harvest.
    I noted the areas they were around on nights I was lamping for foxes, and then covered those fields before dusk.
    On other farms they are around but keep them selves out of sight other wise I would have knocked one or two on my travels.
    Some numbers for you, 3 from 2 high seats, 11 on foot close to the high seat areas. Being mobile worked better for me.

Tim.243

Roe my opinion the most common reason for no kids Fox's. But this is easy are the Does getting pregnant they will be obviously much fatter in the spring if they are. There is no mistake in march /April. I have watched a pair of Fox's getting the Doe to chase them and dive in at the Kids . I suggest you don't take that nice Buck out until you know if its his fault . woodfordfallow