Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digging flight pond

Digging flight pond

Hi all, a bit random but does anyone on here have any experience on making a new flight pond for ducking? I have permission to do so on a small price of land within a mile of the local reservoir but the land sits around half way up a gentle slopping field. The ground lays quite wet so gathering it has a sensible clay content, my queries are will it dry up in summer and will rain water alone be enough to fill it up initially. Thanks

i have got planning permission for large ponds and lakes before. depends how you want to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    i have got planning permission for large ponds and lakes before. depends how you want to go about it.
    Hi was only looking for a small pond/ splash for personal sport but will check with planning to keep it legit, from what I found online they're not to bothered if it's a small pond??

Quote Originally Posted by bradstalk View Post
    Hi was only looking for a small pond/ splash for personal sport but will check with planning to keep it legit, from what I found online they're not to bothered if it's a small pond??
    the last one we did came under engineering works. i am not sure what the cut off point is?

Crack on and get it dug out I seriously wouldn't bother with the legal beagles if its a small pond ,Suprising what you can shift with a 3 ton digger but if you've never operated plant before then I'd advise caution not just safety but an experienced op can make the job go so much more smoothly and do more in a day than a newby will shift in a week .good luck
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Crack on and get it dug out I seriously wouldn't bother with the legal beagles if its a small pond ,Suprising what you can shift with a 3 ton digger but if you've never operated plant before then I'd advise caution not just safety but an experienced op can make the job go so much more smoothly and do more in a day than a newby will shift in a week .good luck
    norma
    Iv got a mate who shots with me who has a 3 tonne digger and drives it for a living so no probs there Just hope it holds water and ducks! Cheers norma

Think there will be info on either GWCT or BASC sites, no idea wot the craic is with getting permission of sEPA/EPA? i usually just go in and dig them got another to dig this year and got my sights on a 2nd site too just got to get permission of the farmer/landowner now.
    Be plenty of advise on those sites but often diger drives make the sides far too steep trying to get the pond too deep, i'd just have it very shallow the whole pond with very gradual sloping sides

Probably impossible for someone to guess without seeing ur ground, if the field is sloping and wettish i'd imagine will have a field drain system, possibly if u can dig down and tap into a main drain or 2 to feed it and block it to stop it getting away. I take it there is no nearby burns u can divert/pipe some water in to pond.

Even if it does dry up in summer not a big problem had some cracking sport shooting flooded field splashes in the past

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Think there will be info on either GWCT or BASC sites, no idea wot the craic is with getting permission of sEPA/EPA? i usually just go in and dig them got another to dig this year and got my sights on a 2nd site too just got to get permission of the farmer/landowner now.
    Be plenty of advise on those sites but often diger drives make the sides far too steep trying to get the pond too deep, i'd just have it very shallow the whole pond with very gradual sloping sides

Probably impossible for someone to guess without seeing ur ground, if the field is sloping and wettish i'd imagine will have a field drain system, possibly if u can dig down and tap into a main drain or 2 to feed it and block it to stop it getting away. I take it there is no nearby burns u can divert/pipe some water in to pond.

Even if it does dry up in summer not a big problem had some cracking sport shooting flooded field splashes in the past
    Thanks for the advice, I was planning on keeping it shallow with sloping edges as you say and Il have a look on them sites. Prob will just dig it anyways!! As for the main drains I'm not aware of any and don't even know what burns are I'm afraid! I think your right with the field drain system as there is a stream at bottom of field in the woods. I was only worried about it drying up as the owners were conceded about it looking like a wallow! Cheers