Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossing country lane with firearm.

Crossing country lane with firearm.

A farm I stalk on is equally split by a country lane, a public road not private. So to get from one side to the other I just cross the lane from one gate to the next. Now I normally unload, and slip the rifle for the quick transverse. Is this ok, or there any other rules I should be aware of? I don't want to get caught out by someone as its not always that quiet a country lane.

just do what your allready doing,unload slip remove mag or bolt,
    DONT START

Why not just walk over??

Blog Entries
    There is no legal reason you cannot just walk straight over however what you are doing is sensible.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

From what I can remember the the law states it is an offence, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to be in possession of a firearm (loaded or not) in a public place. So it doesn't really matter whether it is in or out of a slip, loaded or unloaded. It sounds as though you have a good excuse to be crossing the public road. It saves unnecessary hassle to cover a rifle sometimes and it is sensible to unload it to do so but apart from that I think you are fine. Some police don't know the law in this area as well as they should so it pays to be sure for yourself.

Carrying firearm in a public place:
    A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place
    (a)a loaded shot gun,
    (b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),
    (c)any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or
    (d)an imitation firearm.

Some examples of "reasonable excuse" would include crossing a road to go from one permission to another, or taking a rifle home from the shop after repair or buying it. Incidentally, your car would be considered a public place, when out on the road but of course having it in the car when going to or from a place where you are going to use it is "reasonable excuse".

As has been said, in practice, it would be good practice to have it unloaded and in it's slip.

Whilst putting it in the slip might not be required legally its common sense, after all do you really want all the hassle of an armed response vehicle arriving and all the associated fuss because a member of the public has reported someone walking around with a firearm

Just put it in the slip to save any hassle. It takes a few moments to put it in the slip. It will be a whole load of crap if a numpty calls the old bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Carrying firearm in a public place:
    A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place
    (a)a loaded shot gun,
    (b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),
    (c)any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or
    (d)an imitation firearm.

Some examples of "reasonable excuse" would include crossing a road to go from one permission to another, or taking a rifle home from the shop after repair or buying it. Incidentally, your car would be considered a public place, when out on the road but of course having it in the car when going to or from a place where you are going to use it is "reasonable excuse".

As has been said, in practice, it would be good practice to have it unloaded and in it's slip.
    My reading of this is that it's OK to carry an unloaded shotgun but no other unloaded weapon without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Seems a bit odd?

I'm quite surprised how many above had said put it in a slip. It sounds like you have come to a gate and there is one on the othet side of the lane? Just walk over unloaded. In fact the law states you can shoot from a highway providing onto land you have permission on and you haven't disturbed anyone so loadef will be ok to.

I stalk in an area with country lanes splitting the land and cross several times in a morning unslipped. I tend to wait till any cars I hear are passed but do regularly meet walkers on the road with my rifle on my shoulder and just say hello.