Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC Extra Benefits??

DSC Extra Benefits??

I'm just considering doing my DSC1 and was wondering what are the resulting benefits of undertaking the course other than knowledge? I.e. what doors does it open? Are you more likely to get ok'd for unaccompanied stalks, get on syndicates, what about FC/BASC schemes? Will stalking be cheaper due to requiring less supervision?

In respect of the DSC1 course inparticular - is there any hands on carcass handling, i.e. gralloch, butchery etc? Or at least watching a lecturer present these aspects on a carcass in front of you?

And then in the same vein, what are extra doors open to the shooter following the DSC2, and Deer Management Courses? Also, is there anything stating that you need to show evidence of mantaining this knowledge/experience throughout your shooting career as per professional qualifications?

Finally, I live within 20 miles of a training centre but all the courses say about accomodation etc, but I presume it's OK to commute to the course each day?

I appreciate the need for knowledge, but have always been more of a believer in practical experience rather than formal courses...but if it opens doors, it may pay for itself quite quickly.

As ever, thanks for your responses in advance,
    Oly.
    Last edited by Oly; 25-03-2010 at 09:02.

Account Suspended
    You won't get any hands on experience on any of the DSC1 courses Oly its a matter of reading and answering questions from the given question and answer book and consists of a test on what you have learned at the end of the day. part of that test comprises of a food hygiene paper which if you answer it correctly gives you a trained hunter status, However there is another option in that B.A.S.C along with Lantra do a Large game and a small game handling course which is the the same status as the trained hunter, BASC also go carcass handling courses at numerous venues throughout the country which is seperate from the DSC1 qualification The only hands on test you have to do is the shooting range ability test.
    Hope this helps
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    I'm just considering doing my DSC1 and was wondering what are the resulting benefits of undertaking the course other than knowledge? I.e. what doors does it open? Are you more likely to get ok'd for unaccompanied stalks, get on syndicates, what about FC/BASC schemes? Will stalking be cheaper due to requiring less supervision?

In respect of the DSC1 course inparticular - is there any hands on carcass handling, i.e. gralloch, butchery etc? Or at least watching a lecturer present these aspects on a carcass in front of you?

And then in the same vein, what are extra doors open to the shooter following the DSC2, and Deer Management Courses? Also, is there anything stating that you need to show evidence of mantaining this knowledge/experience throughout your shooting career as per professional qualifications?

Finally, I live within 20 miles of a training centre but all the courses say about accomodation etc, but I presume it's OK to commute to the course each day?

I appreciate the need for knowledge, but have always been more of a believer in practical experience rather than formal courses...but if it opens doors, it may pay for itself quite quickly.

As ever, thanks for your responses in advance,
    Oly.
    Oly, You do get the Large Game "Trained Hunter" status which means you can pass food safely into the food chain using the "hunter exemption". When I did my DSC1 with the BDS we had one carcass between two of us to gralloch (my partner didn't want to get his hands dirty), but were "fortunate" enough to see a badly infected (TB) fallow doe necropsied by a vet too.

You will also be able to get onto FC leases if you tell them you are "working towards" your DSC2. For any woodland lease, owners seem to be saying more and more that they need DSC1 minimum. I do not think you will get anything any cheaper through having the DSC1, market forces prevail.

Atb, ft

Edit, I commuted.
    Last edited by flytie; 25-03-2010 at 10:06. Reason: C.R.A.F.T. moment!
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Thanks Stu,

It does make you wonder why you can't just do the test online then and submit the appropriate witnessed shooting range targets?

Cheers,
    Oly.

Edit - Thanks ft too...just seen your response. Might be worth a call to BDS then I guess.

Oly, on-line testing would be open to cheating, At least when present in person at the test it's definately you who passes or fails.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

That's true finnbear - hadn't thought about that being an honest bloke and all that!! Still, I can't see why they couldn't just do a touch screen assessment for 30 like CSCS scheme that most people in the construction industry have to go through.

Besides, we little people are never going to change that...so back to the question; is it worth it given the doors it opens?

Does anyone know what level DSC is required for shooting the FC ground accompanied and unaccompanied around Cannock Chase? And the costs/contacts?

SD Regular
    It does make you wonder why you can't just do the test online then...
    What! And eliminate the profit it generates for the bodies involved in peddling this scheme?

DSC is not fundamentally about stalking it is about empire building and making money from control!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 25-03-2010 at 12:38.

Oly. wrote:
    I'm just considering doing my DSC1 and was wondering what are the resulting benefits of undertaking the course other than knowledge? I.e. what doors does it open?

The ones in your head .

To be honest Oly Deer Stalking is something that you learn about every time you go Stalking ,doing the DSC level 1 course only helps you to further highlight the subject in more detail,
    we don't and cannot know everything about a subject but practice makes it far more enjoyable .

I take people out for there DSC level two as an AW I learn both directly and indirectly from those people , i hope to continue to learn until my last breath .

I here the government crack on about the worth of education well it the same with Deer Stalking ,the more knowledge you have the better for yourself and your quarry species .

As for the CSCS it's a who load of *****, it won't help you when a scaffolding baton hits you on the head ,or teach you anything about you profession it will however take cash from your pocket for something you've got to do every time you join a new site, an" induction " which doesn't cost anything ,why did the CSCS come in industry standards i doesn't stop the brickie throwing the mortar of the board at the end of his shift or kicking the blocks of the scaffolding when you walking out the building or any other trade for that matter .

You require level Two for the Forestry Commission
    Last edited by widows son; 25-03-2010 at 12:47.

Widowson, this guy sounds like he's been at the coal face before! jobsworth moneymakers those cards are!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Finnbear : Ive never been asked for mine on a site yet I'm now on to my second one ,since the only last for 5 years yes it did cost more cash it get .