Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill bits

Drill bits

Hi guys, can any one recommend a drill bit that will drill carbon steel. I am having trouble finding one and have ruined 3 bits this weekend.
    Thanks, Tusker

Depends how big and how deep you want to go. I used to do a lot of scope mounts, occasionally a hardened receiver or slide would cause problems. I bought straight flute tungsten bits from Brownells (expensive) and away I went. Another way is to spot soften the area to be drilled using a fine tip oxy torch and lots of heat sink where you don't want the heat to go. Is the area case hardened or tough all the way?

Hi
    I would suggest a flick through a Screwfix catalogue - they have a range of drill bits for different materials including ones to last longer.
    Cheers
    L
    Last edited by Loki; 16-02-2015 at 08:23. Reason: word missed

Try a Cobalt bit,not too expensive and should cope easily.
    Nick

Cobalt bits are the way to go.

You might want to try some cutting fluid as well, something like Rocol will help to take some of the heat away from the drill. Never mind the smoke, it does that

Agreed on the cobalt drill bits. I bought a load of cobalt bits from this place http://www.ukdrills.com/ for a project recently. They are good value and easy to deal with. Do tick the no emails box if you do use them though, they are very keen about letting you know of their latset offers!!

Quote Originally Posted by hybridfiat View Post
    Depends how big and how deep you want to go. I used to do a lot of scope mounts, occasionally a hardened receiver or slide would cause problems. I bought straight flute tungsten bits from Brownells (expensive) and away I went. Another way is to spot soften the area to be drilled using a fine tip oxy torch and lots of heat sink where you don't want the heat to go. Is the area case hardened or tough all the way?
    3-5 mil wide and no more than 4 mil deep. Its for my knife making and the steel is hard all the way through.
    Tusker

Pilot hole?
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

if its for a knife handle soften the steel ,dont go near the spline or edge
    DONT START