Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Shot Woodpigeons

Steel Shot Woodpigeons

I am based in Midlothian near Edinburgh. I have a breeding project breeding Falcons and am looking to feed woodpigeons this breeding season . The pigeons would have to be shot with steel shot. I have done a lot of pigeon shooting in the past , so I am looking to tag along , supplying all the cartridges,or alternatively purchase the pigeons. All lead would have to be left at home as it is highly toxic to birds of prey. I am needing 400-600 pigeons. PM me if you are in a position to help me out.

Nelson

Have you tried any of the scanners that are on the market to check for lead pellets?
    Would even one pellet that was missed do harm?.
    Sorry if it seems a silly question.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

One pellet or even lead residue can be fatal. Years ago I fed my golden eagle a pheasant that had been caught by my goshawk. A day later the golden eagle was down on her hocks which is classic lead poisoning symptoms. I took her the vet and an X-ray showed one lead pellet in the gizzard. An injection flushed it out. The vet said if I hadn't reacted so quickly , the eagle would have died.

Didn't realise it could be so bad, and an eagle is pretty big compared to a hawk.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

What amazes me is buzzards regularly eat lead shot game and are neithet up nor down.

My nephew flies Goshawks and i keep him going with pegged pheasants that i see.

DO NOT FEED PIGEON to captive birds of prey they have deseases can't remember which ones ,feed quail ,rat !hare Ect for breeding stock it was one of the first things my old mentor told me .bulk out with rabbit and chick and feed the quail and rat to get birds into condition far cheaper in the long run than respiratory problems at the vets
    cheers
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    DO NOT FEED PIGEON to captive birds of prey they have deseases can't remember which ones ,feed quail ,rat !hare Ect for breeding stock it was one of the first things my old mentor told me .bulk out with rabbit and chick and feed the quail and rat to get birds into condition far cheaper in the long run than respiratory problems at the vets
    cheers
    norma
    would that not be feral pigeons?? would of thought woodies would be ok??

Yip, i'd take my chance with a Wood pigeon before a rat anyday?

It is more with feral pigeons.

We freeze the pigeon for a minimum of one month as the freezing process kills off the diseases referred to by Norma 308

Captive-bred rats do not carry disease either

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    would that not be feral pigeons?? would of thought woodies would be ok??