Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel/ supressor covers... any good?

barrel/ supressor covers... any good?

Hi
    After messing up a nice stalk the other day by banging my moderator on my sticks, I was wondering about putting a cover on my moderator and even my barrel and scope.
    Is there any downside to this apart from looking a bit of a tool?
    Does it change point of impact etc... if put on the mod or the barrel?
    Cheers
    Nick
    Last edited by Nick Fahey; 25-03-2010 at 13:42.

I put a neoprene cover from Garlands over my stainless-steel PES mod; I did check the point-of-impact immediately after on the range before hurling lead at any fox/deer (and there wasn't a shift, but it is always best to check ).

I'd like to think that it doesn't make me look a tool....Plenty of people probably think I look like that to start with anyway!!

I was more concerned about (a) making it less visible, being S/steel, and (b) protecting the mod and reducing it ringing if I did ding it on anything.
    ATB,

Merlin
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

A guy I know who builds rifles showed me a cheap way to stop a moderator ringing. You take a standard post office rubber band double it and slide it over the moderator it kills the resonance stone dead. Also cheaper than a mod cover and if you can find a green one even better. Keith

You just beat me to it Keith.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    You take a standard post office rubber band double it and slide it over the moderator it kills the resonance stone dead. Also cheaper than a mod cover and if you can find a green one even better. Keith
    Then you put a stamp on it and your shooting becomes first class.

The main reason I put a cover on my mod is that it is a PES, Very Shiney.

As an alternative you could use cammo tape, but very messy if you need to take it off.

John.

Anyone put a cover on their barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by vizslamad View Post
    The main reason I put a cover on my mod is that it is a PES, Very Shiney.
    Just a thought, why not blacken your PES with woodstove paint? It seems to do the job on stainless flue pipes which suggests it should take well enough. Nice and matt too.

I used to use a neoprene cover on my T8 but I'm sure the moisture it collected after a shot caused it to produce a corrosive substance. Of course, the tube might already have had minute perforations but my most recent T8 has never worn a jacket and does appear to be faring better than its predecessors.

Like the idea of the elastic band...Genius!
    Last edited by Iwrch; 27-03-2010 at 12:02.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Fahey View Post
    Anyone put a cover on their barrel?
    Can't see the need, and it would certainly affect your zero.

I use a neoprene cover on my T8 which always comes off to be dried whenever it's got wet. Otherwise it lives on the mod and I've not had any problems. Another big plus (apart from stopping the ringing) is that it takes away the shine you get when shooting with a lamp (foxes, that is, before anyone starts)

An inertube off a bicycle is just as good,post office bands are bio degradeable.

Quote Originally Posted by 177landy View Post
    An inertube off a bicycle is just as good,post office bands are bio degradeable.
    Think of the planet!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!