Thread: Whats the point of DMGs

Whats the point of DMGs

Along with my son and 2 mates I am in the extremely fortunate position of having c 2,500 acres of quality stalking in Hampshire (of which only half we have to rent - the rest is free for half venison and bottle scotch at Christmas etc) Also lease as part of another syndicate another 1700 acres of FC and Tillhill Forestry.

My question is. Is there any value in forming a DMG? Why do people do it? Would there be any sense in joining an existing one?

I am assuming these are formed to enable expansion of the ground, members, variety, economics re renting where have to etc etc Are there any benefits being associated to the DI in any way?

Bit of an idle question as current arrangements working well right now but just thought would seek opinion

D

The main reason for forming a DMG is so that all stakeholders in an area that falls within a specific deer populations range can set cull plans and long term Planning for the deer population in the future, that is agreeable to all members of the group baring in mind that not all Landowners or lease holders will have the same objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by sh1kar View Post
    Along with my son and 2 mates I am in the extremely fortunate position of having c 2,500 acres of quality stalking in Hampshire (of which only half we have to rent - the rest is free for half venison and bottle scotch at Christmas etc) Also lease as part of another syndicate another 1700 acres of FC and Tillhill Forestry.

My question is. Is there any value in forming a DMG? Why do people do it? Would there be any sense in joining an existing one?

I am assuming these are formed to enable expansion of the ground, members, variety, economics re renting where have to etc etc Are there any benefits being associated to the DI in any way?

Bit of an idle question as current arrangements working well right now but just thought would seek opinion

D
    In our area, The Cotswolds, stalkers are being encouraged by the Cotswolds Conservation Board (they manage the Cotswolds AONB) and DI to form DMG's, in particular with a view to cross-boundary collaborative culling of Fallow deer, which in a few locations here cause massive problems to farmers and woodland owners.

There is a very active and successful DMG called the Central Cotswolds Hills DMG which is run by landowners. Relatively new is the North-Cotswolds DMG which is run by stalkers for stalkers. The Cranham/Stroud DMG has collapsed, and so has a DMG on the N-E Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire border.

The benefits as far as the North-Cotswolds is concerned are the creation of a network, PR, and more and more stalkers working together and inviting each other to stalk on their land, and small groups within the DMG now having taken on the deer management on some larger Estates and some syndicates within the DMG. In addition to that there are training sessions, visits to events, a few range visits and some more social activities.
    The difficulties we are faced with are apathy (Many stalkers on the members list, many candidates and volunteers for counts/surveys, but few turn up at events, and many cancel at the last minute). We do feel that the majority of stalkers are actually a member in the hope that somehow, magically, they will get new permissions offered to them by being a Member, and they are generally disappointed.
    Also some aggressive and unexpected opposition in particular from gamekeepers/shooting tenants on some larger neighbouring estates, and opposition from established and sometimes very well known stalkers who somehow seems to feel the DMG is a threat. So the people who are the most experienced and should know better, and those who would potentially benefit most from being associated with our DMG, are actually the ones who are the most against it.
    So as long as you have a thick skin and associate yourself with the right organisations who can give you advice/help/grants or just PR (Police, AONBs, DI, BDS, BASC, Conservation Charities, Wildlife Trusts) you'll find starting a DMG with a group of like-minded stalkers can be hugely beneficial.
    Good luck!
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

D

NO!

Maybe to do some of there courses or training days if they are of use to you but be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
    NO!

Maybe to do some of there courses or training days if they are of use to you but be careful.
    Discopete
    Why do you say be careful?
    I belong to a DMG and those that put in the effort get something out, its social and helpful to have others you can fall back on for help if required.
    The stalkers are happy.
    The land owners are happy.

I don't mean be careful about DMGs, they have there place if people are all doing their jobs to get the numbers agreed and required. I said No to the bit highlighted.

OH!

Erik - Would a concession around Henley fit in to one of those DMGs? Quite keen to link up with my neighbours.

J

Quote Originally Posted by RuralLondoner View Post
    Erik - Would a concession around Henley fit in to one of those DMGs? Quite keen to link up with my neighbours.

J
    I suggest you do some research and find out the different 'business models' used by a few different DMGs.
    If you feel you, your landowner and the wider area around Henley would benefit from some form of collaboration than go for it!
    It could be as simple as 4-6 stalkers keeping in touch and exchanging some information over a beer, or as complex as a commercial operation involving landowners and stalkers and setting up a venison supply chain.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Are there any benefits being associated to the DI in any way?
    D
    Not normally a conspiracy theorist but I do wonder what is happening behind the scenes. Spent quite a while recently at a DI meeting and some things did come into mind. They are funded by the state and have a great many 'partners' that would only get around the same table because it is a state funded organisation. The topics of increasing deer numbers, impact assessments and the increasing number of accidents with injuries and deaths were to the fore. It felt very much like there is a move afoot to get the public to accept that deer are becoming an increasing problem that needs addressing and that this needs to be done in an organised manner and overseen by somebody. My feeling is that if we do not organise ourselves on a large scale basis to reduce numbers then it will be done for us. Not sure that jealously guarding our own pieces of ground will work going forward.